Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Technical Difficulties
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in a recent thread some people giving T-Cut a no-no 7 mentioning AutoGlym Paint Renovator as a better alternative.

Basically, my car is on a '96 plate & red, or rather, red in places, going pink in other places.

Last year i used T-Cut on the car 7 it lasted a few month, looked ok, but it started to turn pink again. I was using colour polish some weekends, no wax.

Now, i have been using colour polish & wax, but give it 2 weeks & it's back to being pink again. I suppose my lack of knowledge on this should be pretty obvious by now :D

So what i'm looking for, if it's at all even possible, is something lasting longer than 2 weeks because i'm getting tired of keeping on top of it so frequently.

The AutoGlym Paint Renovator bottle suggests using AutoGlym Super Resin Polish first. I'm sure i read somewhere about using the Resin Polish afterwards also. And the Resin Polish bottle mentions using, hmm, i can't remember now, something like the Extra Gloss Protection, or Ultra Deep Shine bottle.

Was also considering getting one of those electric buffer things, but read that only the professional ones are any good. This pretty much true??

Anyway, justa bit of info wanted from you guys on it. If using these products will work, but only for a few week, then i just can't be bothered with it really. I don't mind keeping on top of it, but not nearly every weekend. Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
From what i can remember on a training course i did, here goes:

Your trying to gloss up paint colour and make it look good, but that paint colour has gone. So the products your using wont bring that colour back for a longer period. I may be wrong but these products are designed to bring back slight blemishes and your everyday scratches on newish paintwork.

Same again for the electric buffers, we used them on how to polish out blemishes/dust on newly painted panels, without having to rework the whole panel.

I could be wrong on all this, but thats how i see it. Perhaps only a respray would solve the "problem".

·
Technical Difficulties
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, i've had the feeling that only a respray will sort the problem out, and the car really aint worth it tbh.
Thanks for the help

·
Technical Difficulties
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I remembered today that i t-cut a part of me mams old Nova a good while back because these marks wouldn't budge. It shifted them, and changed it from a real dull blue (it is a K-reg) to a decent shade & it's stayed that way. It's been a while since i did it & in that same amount of time after i t-cut the spoiler & bonnet (the parts fading most on my car), it began to turn a shade of pink again. Is this just because red is such a crappy colour?

·
Up For The Craic
11,054 Posts
It does not matter which product you use to bring up the colour - it will not remain unless you polish it immediately afterwards and then apply a couple of coats of wax. It you have T-Cutted it (which I would not recommend) you will have removed the top layer of paint and so any protection. You need to restore the protective layer of the paint to hold the colour.

As for using an angle grinder as a polisher - well that is only looking for trouble! A good polisher should be able to run as slow as 300RPM - what will an angle grinder run at?

·
Registered
162 Posts
do yourself a favor and get down to youe local bodyshop and find out how much it would cost to mop and polish the whole car? we used to charge around £80? not cheap but a much better lasting result. money well spent i.m.o

·
Up For The Craic
11,054 Posts
do yourself a favor and get down to youe local bodyshop and find out how much it would cost to mop and polish the whole car? we used to charge around £80? not cheap but a much better lasting result. money well spent i.m.o
Sounds expensive but if you don't have the necessary products yourself to do the job and go out and but them they will probably cost more - them there is the time factor to consider as well!

·
Registered
142 Posts
As for using an angle grinder as a polisher - well that is only looking for trouble! A good polisher should be able to run as slow as 300RPM - what will an angle grinder run at?[/quote]

Most will run low enough as the switchs are usually variable speed. And for homw use £45 is cheaper than £150 imho.

·
Up For The Craic
11,054 Posts
I have 2 Angle Grinders. The smaller one runs at 11000RPM while the larger one runs at 6500 RPM. My polisher runs between 500RPM and 3200RPM!

I can tell you if I were to rum the polisher at full speed with some products then the paint would end up in sh!t :shake

·
Hi-de-hi campers!
453 Posts
T-cut is not such a bad thing as people seem to think, it's more how aggressively and how often you use it.

Removing the top layer is what is needed to get rid of the oxidised pink paint.

That's what T-cut is made for, it's just bloody hard work and as said if you do it too often then you will eventually rub through.

Once you have used T-cut or other abrasive compound to get the colour back you do need to seal and protect it otherwise you're back to square one.

I'd recommend a silicon-based or carnauba type wax.

Auto-Glym's super resin polish is very good and fairly easy to use (used that on my old cav,kept it shiny).

I've just recently got a Simoniz carnauba wax which seems good from the one time i've used it, leaves the car looking a bit smeary at first but it does disappear.I think that's something to do with it being oily, I'm hoping that oily characteristic is going to protect it well from the elements.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.