Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995 2.5 auto omega, 41k, suppost to have had recent gearbox oil change (no reason to believe it hasnt, but level not yet checked) and initially when its cold it wont change out of 1st gear, ive just been out and time tested it and it took 70 seconds to change out of 1st gear at a steady 2000rpm (slightly up hill) once its changed out of 1st gear everything is fine, i can immediately stop and start off again and it changes fine out of 1st gear at 1250rpm, im guessing its either a low gearbox oil level or maybe it hasnt been changed and needs changing, other than that it seems temperature related somewhere, anyone any ideas on what this could be?

Will be doing some more tests next few days, on one occasion i took it to 3000rpm and it didnt make any difference, dont want to go any higher as its cold, ive not tried sport mode to see if it makes any difference or tried selecting up manually, ive just been pulling away in normal drive mode and of course as it only does this when its initially cold im only able to do two tests a day, hoping to get it up on blocks next few days to check gearbox oil level

:dunno

Cheers in advance for replies

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Are you new to the Omega?

Have you not got the / read the hand book?

They're supposed to do that - it's to warm up the CAT (catalytic converter) quickly from a cold start to aid in the prevention of harmful emissions.....& all that rubbish etc, etc.

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
as above. it'll hold while its cold to get everything warm more quickly. its a stupid idea but it keeps the greeny's happy. you can just wait a min or 2 before pulling away and it'll sort it.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Mine also does this and will change up at about 3,000 rpm , have heard of some not changing up 'til 4,000rpm! as you say after a minute or so all is ok, as has been said this is normal behaviour for these Barges.
Cheers Pete

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i have the operation, safety and maintenance drivers manual TS 1433-A-95 and it says nothing about this condition that i can find, phoned two vauxhall service main dearlers, one said it was normal and they had experienced customers complaining about it before, the other said it certainly wasnt normal and would never be designed like that

So have we all got the same fault/problem or did vauxhall design a car that you have to either sit in for 60 seconds until the cats warm up or you can drive straight off reving the nuts out your engine when its cold?

:dunno

Will drop the sumps and change the oil to at least eliminate that

Have just phoned Vauxhall head office customer services who have given me a case number and are going to do a technical enquiry and get back to me with their findings, if anyones interested the number is 0845 0902044

·
Registered
137 Posts
Its normal my 3.0ltr elite does it every morning ,So does my mates new Audi A5 Nothing to worry about......i think its to get the cats warmed up quickly,,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so what do we all do then?

1. sit there and warm it up for 60 odd seconds?
2. creep off slow keeping revs down until it changes?
3. put foot down and let it rev even though its stone cold and doing damage?
4.manually select 1-2-3-D?

will try 4 today, hoping that works as 1 and 2 are a pain in the arse and 3 is a definate no no

·
VXons resident Priest
3,965 Posts
All of the Omegas I've had (autos) held first gear, but none of them for that long? Mine were about maybe 15 - 20 seconds.
But as stated above, start it up as soon as you jump in it and then put your seat belt on/radio/wipe the screen etc etc while it ticks over and that should help to reduce the stuck in first time..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just did a quick search and found this information on the below company website, i wonder if this is the problem? and how easy is it to clean the governor valve?

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk

Q. I have a 4 speed ZF Auto and it sticks in first gear in the morning or when cold and is reluctant to change up from 1st gear. Once the gearbox has warmed up it shifts normally. Why?

A. The governor valve is sticking, which can be caused by contamination. i.e. clutch plates or other parts disintegrating. The fine debris finds its way past the filter and tends to accumulate in the governor, causing it to stick. A temporary solution is to remove and clean the governor. The problem will often recur as debris from damaged parts continues to build up in the governor. If the problem continues after cleaning the governor then it may be necessary it replace your Autobox.
We have noticed many customers reporting this fault starting a few days after an oil and filter change and after researching this using our experience and the expertise of others in the trade we have come to the conclusion that as ATF oil is a detergent type oil, when the oil is changed this will dislodge and stir up settled debris in the autobox which in turn jams the governor valve. In light of this although it sounds controversial it is debateable if changing the oil and filter is a good idea, some say if the box it going to fail it will fail if the oil is good or bad and their advice is leave it alone. I am still undecided but the truth is I get a lot of calls from customers thinking they are looking after the autobox by servicing it and a few days later this fault occurs.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
as said it says in the drivers handbook that on autos the engine will hold when cold until the cat warms up, mine does this, my mate omega does it and my old vectra V6 auto used to do it too. it can be embarassing when you pull away and it revs its nuts off as people look at you like you cant drive:lmao:

but the smile dont last when you pee all over em at the next lights:bust:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i have the Vauxhall Omega operation, safety and maintenance drivers manual TS 1433-A-95 and it says nothing about this, automatic transmission is pages 81/82/83/84, what manual are you referring to?

·
VXons resident Priest
3,965 Posts
as said it says in the drivers handbook that on autos the engine will hold when cold until the cat warms up, mine does this, my mate omega does it and my old vectra V6 auto used to do it too. it can be embarassing when you pull away and it revs its nuts off as people look at you like you cant drive:lmao:

but the smile dont last when you pee all over em at the next lights:bust:
Assuming of course they're in a Metro or something of equal insignificance:eh

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi, it states in the handbook that the auto box is programmed to delay gear changes when cold to allow the cats to warm up faster.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Quote from astra handbook. "After a cold start the operating temperature programme automatically brings the catalitic converter quickly up to temperature required for optimum pollutant reduction by delaying shifting." (higher engine speeds) Page 84. Hope this helps to put your mind at rest.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Assuming of course they're in a Metro or something of equal insignificance:eh
ok, maybe i should have said when you catch up with them at the next lights and pass them. The meggy may not be a quick starter but it catches up and overtakes pretty well. imo

:cool:

·
Registered
214 Posts
From the Vauxhall TIS.

"Auto boxes have an Operating Temperature Programme which is similar to sports mode. It is active for at least 1 min. as long as the engine temp is below 58c. After 1 min if the engine temp is below 58c and the vehicle speed is above 62mph the programme is switched off ".

Hope this helps

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi, whats the vauxhall TIS?

So where is the temperature sensor governing this programme? is it the cat lambada sensor taking cat temperature readings or the engine temperature sensor?

Anyone know if the sensor can be modified or ECU programme removed?

Cheers

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi wonger - when the handbook mentions delayed shift, it means delaying revs, not delaying time.

If you start the car on a cold morning and immediately drive off then the car should change into second gear as soon as the engine gets above 3000rpm - no delay. If your engine still won't change up for a long time, then you have a fault.

As the engine warms, the revs at which the change occurs will drop to normal (depends on accelerator)

If you tickle the accelerator and keep the revs to 2000 say, then the change will be as you describe. The idea is to let the cats to warm up more quickly than if you tickle the accelerator.

I have two books
TS 1433-B-96 in which the delayed shift is mentioned on p99 under 'electronically controlled drive programmes' and again on p103 under 'Driving hints - warming up'
Book TS 1433-B-98 where the description is in the Automatic gearbox section, p115.

If you really don't want to rev the engine when cold, then press the 'winter mode' button to take the gearbox into higher gear, then press it again to come out of winter mode.

Hope this helps, Peter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts