Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
GZS-R Owner
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious on this - i used Mark T's speed calculator - great little program but doesn't cover the auto box which sadly my car has - was curious in difference to the manual in terms of gear/speed etc.

I realise the manual will be quicker - but by how much??

·
6,336 Posts
The manual's only quicker from a standing start by way of it being able to dump the clutch where an auto can't.

throughout the gears they're much of a muchness ...

speeds at 6600/redline for V6 manual and auto are:-

..........1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th
MAN.....36/ 69/108/ 136/ g157-a145
AUT.....46/ 81/122/ g169-a143

The auto is longer geared ... and can take advantage of that in a lot of situations on the road ... not having to change gear at key road speed ranges :up:

·
6,336 Posts
:up: I reckon about 10-15bhp lost in compariosn by the time it gets to the wheels

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
28,825 Posts
JamesM said:
:up: I reckon about 10-15bhp lost in compariosn by the time it gets to the wheels
Any RR testers I've spoken too reckon it's a lot more loss than that.

As for saving a gearchange due to longer gearing and therefore making it faster, at the lower end of that longer gear you'll be accelerating very slowly, and any idiot can change a manual gear quickly and MORE than compensate for this.

·
6,336 Posts
Dan Gliballs said:
Any RR testers I've spoken too reckon it's a lot more loss than that.

As for saving a gearchange due to longer gearing and therefore making it faster, at the lower end of that longer gear you'll be accelerating very slowly, and any idiot can change a manual gear quickly and MORE than compensate for this.
an additional 10-15 .... in comparison ... so if the manual lost 25 ... the auto loses 40 by the time it hits the road ...
my auto is 135ish at the wheels ... I'd expect a manual to be 150 ... a difference of about 15bhp ...
or did you mean something else?

(Go on, admit it, you read what you wanted into my post without actually reading what I said ... ;))

also, your point with the longer ratio is a bit one sided and construed - firstly I didn't say it would be faster (oh, reading what you want into my posts again?) and secondly, you wouldn't want to try and match a manual change with a lower rev start on the auto ... the point with the auto is that the longer gearing means the big fat torque curve of the V6 is put to better use - you're proportionately longer riding the wide plateau in the auto rather than losing out in a manual by running up one side of it, not staying on top it as long, and then falling down the other side of it, then using the next gear to make an advantage again ...

If you were talking similar take offs - say at 3k in each, the manual might have a brief advantage from being shorter geard, but that advantage would be lost in the more-quickly reached gear change while the auto is still winding away ... it's swings and roundabouts ...

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
[jamesm].............[/jamesm]
It says 45bhp losses on your RR sheet and 35 for the manuals.
anyway TV have started publishing at the wheel max figures, in my book thats what counts......can you rely on rundown?
It would be interesting to review how many manual G/B drivers will routinely drop the clutch from 4k then control the wheelspin just to out gun an auto, or seamleesly select 2nd at 40mph for that crisp overtake!!!(V6) interestingly a high torque turbo would suit an auto!!!

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
28,825 Posts
Dest said:
Has anyone ever put v6 manual and auto on the strip next to each other?
I've been itching to start a thread on the subject.

I'd love to book a track and get all the V6 Cavaliers together and watch him get trashed :lmao:

I'll let YOU start a thread though ;)

·
6,336 Posts
...pointless ...

an auto can't launch like a manual ... is anybody actually reading what I'm posting here or are you all deliberately trying to wind me up?

·
15,300 Posts
As I said once before, if a car is fast once moving then it also has the power to be fast off the line.
Find me a car that is crap off the line but is fast when moving.

Put your money where you mouth is for once and put the arguement to rest ;) :p

·
6,336 Posts
Dest said:
Find me a car that is crap off the line but is fast when moving.
... an auto ...

because you can't wind it up to 4k and dump the clutch ...

I've never said an auto is 'fast' from a standing start ... never ...

I've 'put my money where my mouth is' before - just ask Dunc about the roll ons we tried on my local DC ... him in his, at the time, 190bhp manual, me in my 180bhp auto ... nothing in it ... because in the rollons, the auto's gearing and quicker change more than made up for it's apparent power deficit ... irrespective of whether it was losing even more proportionately because of tranny losses ...

He'll tell you straight?!

·
6,336 Posts
Dunc said:
... I never realised how much difference one gear change could make, no matter how hard i pushed my car, i couldnt make any gain on James' V6, if anything he pulled away, although, i did boot it straight off the r'bout and had the edge for a wee while, but still couldn't shake him, hmmmm, interesting ...
go on then, tell Dunc he's talking out of his arse ...

·
15,300 Posts
I never said he was, nor did I ever say auto was slower than manual.
I simply asked if anyone had put them side by side :p

1 - 20 of 76 Posts