Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, after repairing a cam position sensor, crankshaft sensor, valve cover gasket, coil pack + leads, exhaust, radiator, MAF and all visible hoses, my beauty of a car has thrown me a new challenge that requires I drain and refill the automatic transmission fluid for my 98 Vectra B C20SEL 4cyl DOHC.

Unfortunately it is unlike anything I know from previous cars that I had a real funt of a time just trying to locate the pan, pretty sure I got it as it sticks out once your in the right spot. Unfortunately I cannot seem to drain it as the drain plug is either inconspicuous and thus have not found it or what I think is the drain plug is completely blocked (the former most likely).

If you are reading this and know of my pains or my stupidity, I would appreciate it greatly if you could tell me what I am looking for to get this sucker dry and any other helpful pointers in regards to a transmission fluid and filter change.

·
I refuse to grow up.
16,114 Posts
These are filled for life supposedly. Long long time since I did this job but I think apart from removing the sump pan, and disconnecting the oil cooler pipes, there are no actual drain plugs as such. Also you have to remember you cannot empty all the oil out of these, there will be a lot left in the torque converter. Remember to renew the oil filter in the gearbox, and use the correct oil in it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fire 26662, I've heard that and I've heard the opposite. Didn't know that about the amount of oil I can change but as long as I can get some it should do.

As for why I need to change the oil, it is chock full of carbon and runs a thin as water. It is also beyond full even though its condition looks like it hasn't ben touched since 1998. An imagining for me is that the filter is blocked. These issue are causing gear slip (or at least I hope this is the cause as I can't do much else for the transmission)

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you have an oil filler/top-up hole/dipstick hole (i suspect you haven't, as it is sealed)
then suck it out and refill.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a dip stick and I can see what should be all I need to drop the sump which I am seriously considering mess and all. But the filter has to be completely gone for it to be as it is and I already have the replacement. I have found some resources that should help me locate the plug I am looking for so come tonight I SHOULD have it fixed. I'll keep it updated but if you have any more advice, Ill be watching.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts