Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to see a astra 1.6 auto (cheap) but the seller said it "slip's" going uphill, I tried to ask if the rev's but up but the speed doesn't but, she said "I think so"...

I this maybe the torque concerter on the way out?, or maybe just an oil change, the car's a N reg with 68k (if gen) and seemingly this all thats wrong.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It may be the torque converter if not its a prob with the box brakebands maybe go and see it and see if the gear change is notchy

·
Registered
122 Posts
easy way to test is to do a stall test. all brakes on put it in gaer and floor it keeping your foot on the brake so the car stays still rev's should go no higher then 2500 if they do then it is sliping. if it's been sliping for a long time you can bet the oil has got hot so good chance the hole gearbox would be damaged.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
They have quite a few problems with those auto boxes from what I been told

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
really? I've got one, and bless it, I can't fault it. 6000 miles (starting at 88,000) and it's not missed a beat.

I've had autos before that slipped, brakeband failures, burnt oil, no gear selection, multiple at once gear selection..great fun. Even one that went from Drive to Reverse at 40mph and snapped 3 engine mounts.

Treat it nicely, keep an eye for fluid colour and smell, change the oil once a year (Sod Vaux recommendation).

I've seen too many "faulty" autos where the 'box oil is black with "glitter" in it.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Its all been due to lack of maintainance when we've had trouble with them

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
I think it was with my old rover...and what did Rover dealers say? "Don't do autos..needs a new box..".

Took it home, sump off, filters out, valve chest out, governors out..flush everything, modify the sump to make it deeper (less chance of oil starve), put it all back together and refill. Adjust the brake bands, and it was perfect from then on.

This Astra was Motability though, so I'm guessing well serviced. Seems it, certainly...:Cool2:

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
One of the best front wheel drive auto boxes about, try the Renault one if you want trouble. Pretty reliable unit.

It sounds like a classic low oil condition to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts