Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad was towing his caravan in his N Reg 2.016V 80K Cav, when accelerating up hill at about 40mph, the car stopped accelerating, the autobox was described as feeling lumpy, and the rev counter shot up without any engine rev noise. This happened again and it seems at a particular power/torque level the gearbox stops transmitting power to the wheels. Also a faint hot smell. Any suggestions, is it likely to be terminal since the car is not worth a lot. Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Check the autobox fluid level, and the colour and smell of the fluid. Red/pinky=good, brown=change it, black=change it and pray that it might live after.

Change the autobox fluid if it's an iffy colour or smells burnt. Sounds to me like it's slipping...so I'd say check the fluid level ASAP. The only time one of my Autos has lost Drive is when the fluid level has got low.

Dexron ATF is cheap, and from what the Haynes suggests, these Vaux boxes have a drain plug like the engine oil does. I know mine has one. Should be a doddle to change if you need to.

Does he get the flashing "S" sports mode lamp when this happens? If so, the box has picked up an error.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.