Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find that my auto gearbox takes longer to change from 1st to 2nd when it's cold weather. After about 1/2 mile it's fine.
Anyone else experienced this or is it normal?

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Hello,

If from cold, owners manual states a 4000RPM change up from 1st to 2nd.

HTH,

James.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
It's been asked before, the answer is that when the engine is cold the auto box takes longer to change, effectively high-revving the engine to make sure that the engine warms-up quickly in order not to damage the catalitic convertors (which do not like the partially-burnt fuel generated by a cold engine).

There are other 'tricks' the engine does to help protect the cats when it's cold, but that's another story....

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
i just flick on the frost button when cold starting and running initially. This keeps the revs at or below 2k for the first mile or so.
it doesn't labour the V6 engine.
4K from cold is not doing the engine any favours!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick replies or what?
So I'm not to worry?

What about gear box oil change I:E (recommended mileage)

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Yep, don't worry about the cold change.

Haynes reckon 100k on 'a car that covers high annual mileage' - I would say every 50k. Seems easy enough job (but I still haven't done mine yet!)

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
No specified mileage. Generally accepatble as 70k, some say sooner if the car is working hard i.e. towing or min-cabing. When checking level, check for burnt smells etc as a sign of oil gone bad too early. No drain plug either, it's a metter of removing a big sump and a small sump, then cleaning a metal filter and refitting with new gaskets. Also the box is ventilated into the engine compertment via a pipe that emerges behind the engine block near the DIS, this should be left open as blocking it will mess-up the box.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Mine doesn't rev up to 4k, but then I am very gentle with it until it has warmed, and can't really go above 15mph for first 400yrds of my journey anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts