Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a problem recently, when accelerating under full throttle the gearbox would not change gear. It would get to 4500 in 1st and jerk about until the pedal was lifted. It would then change to 2nd and does the same at 4500. Wont change to 3rd until pedal lifted.
Same in sport mode.

I change the gearbox oil (to DEX III) and filter last month and all seemed fine. Changed at full throttle. No problems.:bananasmi

last week it's just started happedning again.
Check the oil level (With engine running) and it's just flowing out of the filler.:cry:

Any ideas?

Daz.

T

·
0 Posts
Hmmm.....if you do a search on here you will find some threads about gearbox probs with some 2.2's
Prolly not what you want to hear but if oil level is ok, then it does sound like ecu problem with the gearbox (going on other threads)
My 2.2 revs its nuts of sometimes and hangs about in gears, but i have discovered that it seems to be coz its running on lpg and underpowered somewhat. The gearbox ecu is trying to compensate for the lack of power. If im on petrol then the gearbox behaves normally.

Hang about.....you mention max revs of 4.5k.....isnt this the max rev limit if car has gone into 'limp home mode'? Do you get the spanner light on?
Also i thought if it had gone into 'limp home mode' that the gearbox would only use 3rd/4th gears, not 1st/2nd.

So sorry, not quite sure..................

I'm sure an expert will be along.....altho maybe not until tomorrow as most of them are changing cambelts today. :2guns

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Not sure if this helps, and it will sound odd, but firstly once started is the problem consistent? I have an intermittent problem with mine (it’s and auto box but a V6 not 2.2), it sometimes seems like the gear is ‘stuck’ when you press the accelerator steadily and it just revs up and does not shift, but if I back-up the pedal and press it again VERY slowly a couple of times it sort of gets ‘released’ and shifts normally after that.

I checked around on the internet, and (I said this will sound odd) this is apparently a problem with the ‘Fly-by’-Wire’ feature on the new Oemga’s, i.e. when you press the accelerator it is no longer a cable going to the throttle, instead it’s an electronic switch which tells the ECU that you want to go faster, and the ECU then decides how much more air/fuel the engine should be getting. Now why this would affect the auto box I have no idea, but it is a common problem that has been reported on other cars as well, such as the new Mini. Well it definitely did not happen on my old 97 Omega.

Again, not sure if this is actually what you are experiencing so may not be relevant, and not sure if the FBW is really to blame as some people out there seem to think. But if it is indeed the problem, then maybe one of the knowledgeable ones can check on TIS2000 (ooops! I didn’t say that) and see if there is a bulletin about this and also maybe an ECU software update?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn't seem intermittant. If I set off normally then all is fine. It's just if you want a quick get away (well as quick as this 2.2 QE2 will go:lmao: ) using full throttle I can't get a smooth change without lifting.

There are no warning lights showing and oil level is fine, but saying that, just after the oil change, it used to rev to about 5500/6000 and then change smoothly. Now it's only getting to 4500 before snapping my neck.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Another thought (keep in mind that all the real experts are away today) – the auto gearbox is supposed to be ‘adaptive’, i.e. adapt the shift patterns to your driving habits based on previous driving characteristics – so if you disconnect the battery (observing the precautions relating to the alarm system and radio code) – you will effectively reset the ECU memory and it will develop the shift patterns again from scratch.

·
Registered
682 Posts
a5dsr said:
Doesn't seem intermittant. If I set off normally then all is fine. It's just if you want a quick get away (well as quick as this 2.2 QE2 will go:lmao: ) using full throttle I can't get a smooth change without lifting.

There are no warning lights showing and oil level is fine, but saying that, just after the oil change, it used to rev to about 5500/6000 and then change smoothly. Now it's only getting to 4500 before snapping my neck.
In my experience of Auto Boxes, if you floor the throttle you are bound to get a snatch on gearchange - I haven't know an auto that doesn't do that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No so much a gear snatch, but what appears to happen is:
Revs reach 4500, power is cut, no gear change, revs drop to 4000 and power is re-applied. hence is jerks between 4500, 4000 & 4500 RPM until the throttle pedal is lifted and only then will it change.

T

·
0 Posts
well, im no expert either......but it definately does sound like its rev limiting for some reason....does it limit the revs to 4.5k when its in neutral or park and you just rev it?

·
Registered
682 Posts
a5dsr said:
No so much a gear snatch, but what appears to happen is:
Revs reach 4500, power is cut, no gear change, revs drop to 4000 and power is re-applied. hence is jerks between 4500, 4000 & 4500 RPM until the throttle pedal is lifted and only then will it change.
Sorry, misunderstood what you were decribing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any more ideas?
Won't rev past 4500 at full throttle as it tries to change up, and will only change if the pedal is released.
Just after the oil change, it revved right up to 5500 and changed smoothly.

:shame:

L

·
0 Posts
When oil was changed were both parts removed to enure full drainage and was the filter thoroughly cleaned/replaced?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, both sumps off, cleaned, new filter. refilled with dexron III grade oil.
It was fine for a couple of weeks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts