Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at complete loss as to what the problem could be with my Ecotec Calibra. Its a right bugger to start and runs very rough when it eventually does. The EM light is on and the fault code points to the cranksensor. This has been changed today as has all the loom from the sensor to the ECU, the timing has been checked and is spot on. All elec connections have been checked and no probs that I can see. Is there a possibility that the ECU is at fault or that the toothed crankwheel has lost a tooth.

Can anybody please please help:mmmm :mmmm :mmmm

·
Registered
122 Posts
would have to scope it to test but one thing to check is with the sensor unpluged do you get a referance voltage on the wires from the ecu?

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A couple of people have mentioned the cam sensor but the fault code is 19 which relates to the crank sensor. Just whipped my cam sensor out and on checking the part no against EPC it appears to be the wrong one the part no is 24445139 (Omega x20xev)can anyone confirm what the part no is for a x20xev fitted to a calibra, I think it should be 90458252

·
Gas Powered
15,285 Posts
crank sensor will cause really rough running, and stalling.

Cam sensor will just revert to limp home mode, and run pretty normally.

Make sure you have the right type of crank sensor, as the 96> sensors are incompatible.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The crank sensor has been replaced with the correct one (thanks to autovaux) as someone had fitted the later type. I've just ordered a new cam sensor as it appears to be the wrong one as well (see above)

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bit of an update, the cam sensor has now been changed but still got the same problem. Tried to read the fault codes with engine running but the EM light doesn't flash at all, it stays al the time.
When starting the car the angine turns nice and free for a couple of secs, then it goes tight as if it unable to turn and all the elecs go wild you get some slight backfire, this process goes on for about 3-4 mins when the car eventually starts. Once running the idle is smooth and when you rev the engine its a bit lumpy this continues for approx 5 mins when the cars idles and revs freely upto 4500 and the EM light is on. If you disconnect the cranksensor the fault stay the same but if you disconnect the cam sensor the car stalls. This suggests to me that the fault still lies with the crank sensor?

Anyone got anymore ideas before I throw the towel in and either give it to a garage(expensive) or the car gets broken for parts(don't really want to do as is too good to break)

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
sounds like the head gasket may have give up the ghost

·
Registered
260 Posts
cornishtaz said:
When starting the car the angine turns nice and free for a couple of secs, then it goes tight as if it unable to turn and all the elecs go wild you get some slight backfire, this process goes on for about 3-4 mins when the car eventually starts.
i reckon this sounds like a voltage problem. dont realy know for this car but form experience of older cars it could be some silly regulator or something especially you tried all the obviouse things

·
Registered
91 Posts
Rastacia said:
i reckon this sounds like a voltage problem. dont realy know for this car but form experience of older cars it could be some silly regulator or something especially you tried all the obviouse things
As i read the last bit about the electrics going crazy, i thought what is in the quote above too. Not meaning to patronise, but check over your alternator related wiring just to be sure all connections are 100% secure. I remember having a similar problem manifest ages ago on a GTE (i know its a totally different car etc) but the rough running, and bizarre behaviour with the electrics was down to the alternator. It was actually 2 seperate faults with the same device:

1) Poor running, random cutting out was due to a snapped alternator to block earth strap but was still resting on the engine block. With a cursory inspection at a distance it looked to be fine - then any vigourous motion would make it flap about a bit thus creating the most bizarre cutting out and stuttering effect.

2) The crazy electrics (dash flicking randomnly from barely visible to retina scorching, plus voltage meter going off the scale, again, literally) turned out to be a duff voltage regulater on the alternator.

May not be this, but id be annoyed if i didnt check it again and found out later that it was this

Keep us all posted,

Regards

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spoke to a local vehicle electrician today and explained my faults, which hw confirmed as being related to the cranksensor. I've got a couple of things he suggested checking ie wiring back to ECU and that the sensor is seated right. If these are all ok he seems to think it could be the ECU itself.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jimscavsri16v said:
How exactly? how would that make engine light come on?

As said im starting to think ur ECU could be fecked mate.Maybe good idea taking it to be tested?

Certainly starting to look that way

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
jimscavsri16v said:
How exactly? how would that make engine light come on?

As said im starting to think ur ECU could be fecked mate.Maybe good idea taking it to be tested?

if you get water in the bores it will struggle to start,or if the gases can escape out the side of the head gasket it again will struggle to build up compression making it hard to start(this is what my sis's vec 2ltr eco did)

·
Registered
29 Posts
It might be a long shot but i had a prob with my cam sensor cleaned it up and still the same poor running etc,i then done the ing on off 30 times cleared the fault code and what do you know she purrs like a kitten now,might be worth a try as it could still be logging the fault till cleared.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've tried this by disconnecting the battery for a couple of hours and still same problem and fault code 19

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
What you have described here is the crank sensor,i know this as when i was having trouble with my old cdx cav it was identical to this,but changing the sensor cured mine.
I have an ecu with transponder and receiver here(simtec 56.1)if you want to try out the ecu theory.
cornishtaz said:
Bit of an update, the cam sensor has now been changed but still got the same problem. Tried to read the fault codes with engine running but the EM light doesn't flash at all, it stays al the time.
When starting the car the angine turns nice and free for a couple of secs, then it goes tight as if it unable to turn and all the elecs go wild you get some slight backfire, this process goes on for about 3-4 mins when the car eventually starts. Once running the idle is smooth and when you rev the engine its a bit lumpy this continues for approx 5 mins when the cars idles and revs freely upto 4500 and the EM light is on. If you disconnect the cranksensor the fault stay the same but if you disconnect the cam sensor the car stalls. This suggests to me that the fault still lies with the crank sensor?

Anyone got anymore ideas before I throw the towel in and either give it to a garage(expensive) or the car gets broken for parts(don't really want to do as is too good to break)

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice one mate how much you looking for it as mine is the simtec56.1 with the transponer around the ignition switch and chip in the key.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts