Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I’ve got a 56 plate astravan G 1.7 cdti that isn’t holding charge in the battery overnight.

I replaced the battery last month so know that’s good, I had similar problem last year & replaced the alternator, so believe that’s good as well.

It’s turning over, sounds quick enough, but not firing. I can get it going with quick start spray & starts fine if left on trickle charge over night.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
14,176 Posts
Parasitic drain somewhere by the sound of it.
Disconnect the battery at night, reconnect the next day and see if it starts fine then.

Reactions: Alan G H

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So turns out that it’s not the battery as had it on charge overnight & yeh still didn’t start the next morning!

Wondering if the starter motor is the cause, it’s not obviously turning over slowly.

What are the symptoms of a failing starter & or how can it be tested?

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
Back to basics first, even though the battery is new, get it tested.
Same with the alternator. Just because it was changed last year doesn't mean it's ok, get it tested.
Then check all earth connections, under the battery, and on the engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi
I had the same problems as you and it was due to bad alternator diode. A new alternator solved the overnight discharge.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So after having to leave the van at work overnight, it turns out the vacuum pipe from the alternator had broken. I temporarily fixed that & it was fine 😊

That was until this morning! Wife tried to go out & battery light was on & no power steering!
Multimeter shows alternator isn’t charging the battery.
After some searching I found the end of the vacuum pipe connected to the alternator had split. So replaced that, thinking it would solve issue, but it hasn’t!

I’ve checked the terminal on the alternator is tights, which it is. I’ve cleaned the main earthing terminal. All clips seems to be in place & not damaged.

I’ve put a code reader on it & it can back with code P0560 - system voltage malfunction.

So I’m stuck . . . Again!!!

Only thing I can think of is to try & gettge alternator/van to a garage to get the alternator tested

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
First check the wiring from the main terminal on the alternator back to the battery positive terminal, using your multimeter, set to resistance (ohms).
If thats ok, then the alternator needs to come off, and be repaired or replaced. (Not the easiest of jobs.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts