Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2003 Astra Club. It is in very good condition and has only done 17000 miles. Drives well but there is a noticable whine from under the bonnet. It alters in pitch when the steering is turned, rising in pitch then settling down. I know what you are thinking, its the steering pump. However when you turn off the engine the noise winds down even after the engine stops.

Any ideas? Do I need to worry or am I going to have to put up with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
God Damn Pump!!

Yeah it sounds like your power steering pump i`ve got an astra 02 plate htere fitted with an electro-hydraulic pump not belt driven mine also went faulty and made the whining noise you`ve explained i`ve had a new one fitted and it worked fine for 2 months now it`s ticking so i need to go back and have it done under warranty, try this to see if it is the pump it might sound daft but apply the hand brake and stall the car so the ignition is on you will hear the pump whine down and turn the steering if the whine is the same it`s prob the pump.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Its the first time I have heard of an electro-mechanical pump. Is that so the steering wont stiffen up if the engine stalls. That was a big problem on my Vectra. On more than one occasion I was left with an almost unmanouverable car when the engine stalled (which they are noted for). If it gets worse do you know if they are easy to replace?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Electro-hydraulic is driven by a direct feed off your alternator and is controlled by the management so when you slow down the steering is more free to turn and when you speed the vehicle up the steering gets harder to turn like when your on the motorway. You`ll also fing out when your alt stops charging as your power steering will not work as well as your rev and speedometer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for the info. I think I'll get myself a Haynes manual. There seems to have been a number of changes to the way things are done since my 1996 Vectra.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.