Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Astra VXR sensor problem

[Astra Mk5/H] [04-09] 
8K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Ryan0802 
#1 ·
Hi.
I have an astra VXR Nurburgring (2008). My engine management light has been on for a while (no other symptoms, drives as normal). The pedal test gave me the error code for the camshaft sensor. I bought a new sensor from Euro car parts, got it put on today, drove fine for about 2 miles then started to splutter, struggle to hold revs then just completely failed on me. Long story short, i put the old sensor back on and now it’s back to how it was- driving absolutely fine but with the engine management light on with the same error code. So 2 things- why did the new sensor make it 100 times worse? Secondly, any ideas to what could be causing this error code but have no affect on the driving of the car? It’s already cost me £140 today for parts and labour and I’m no better off. I only want the light off so I can sell the car. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
So you bought a generic sensor from Euros for your expensive VXR?

Reactions: Louie'
#6 ·
Long story short, i put the old sensor back on and now it’s back to how it was- driving absolutely fine but with the engine management light on with the same error code. So 2 things- why did the new sensor make it 100 times worse?
Can you not solve that conundrum autonomously ?

I only want the light off so I can sell the car. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
The potential buyer may not be so appreciative ? Could be my daughter or mum very easily.

Would you appreciate some help and advice on fixing it properly ? I'm in !

#7 ·
Can you not solve that conundrum autonomously ?

The potential buyer may not be so appreciative ? Could be my daughter or mum very easily.

Would you appreciate some help and advice on fixing it properly ? I'm in !
The reason I put the post up was because I wanted help fixing the problem hence why I asked if anyone knew what could be causing the problem and what I meant by getting rid of the light was that if I was keeping it myself I would leave it as it is, been on for probably a year now anyway and doesn’t affect anything so it could stay on for the lifetime of the car, makes no odds to me but as I want to sell the car I need the problem fixed.

#10 ·
If you put an after market one on and it made it worse but you put the original one back on and it went back to normal could mean the part is ok, however I’ve had coil packs where I had Bosch one on, replaced it for a haas and it was worse than the Bosch one that was breaking down, also a MAF I replaced with a after market one and the broken one was better than the cheap after market one, as your doing the pedal test I assume you don’t have opcom ?

Genuine sensor is £96

#11 ·
I don’t know what Opcom is but I also had a mechanic plug it in and it came up with the same code. I have no issue paying £96 for a genuine sensor IF it solves the problem and the EML goes off. Does the fact that the car is having no physical problems suggest that it is just the sensor? Thanks again Louie

#12 ·
The only way of checking is borrowing one off a car where it’s working and putting it on yours or buying one off a scrap car that has body damage only, that’s the only way of finding out without buying one, unfortunately it would be nice if we all had a crystal ball to tell us “what if” on the car, to be fair I don’t know how long you have owned the car but if you don’t know about opcom or paid very little to have the car repaired and survived the m32 gear box, the car has definitely served you well, what did the garage suggest who done the code reading ?

Did they clear the code and the light came back on?

#13 ·
I have no issue paying £96 for a genuine sensor IF it solves the problem
You have 2 choices here.
  1. Pot Luck. Chuck the sensor on and see. No one here is stood in front of your car able to see it.
  2. Get someone with a good oscilloscope to test your sensor both at the sensor and at the ECU plug. Then make an educated evaluation.
I had a Vauxhall Vivaro earlier this month doing all the things yours is doing. Same Everything, P0340 just as yours.

I have the benefit of an Oscilloscope to measure and test the sensor correctly and fully. In this case it took an ECU to fix that van.

P0340 in it self is a useless code. Tells us so little of diagnostic values, granted, it guides us to the Cam Sensor Circuit but that is it. Believe me, the only fault code you can trust is P0420, and that will throw a curve ball on a LPG car.

Fault codes are like playing I SPY !! You get a clue but to win the point you have to be observant !

Once cleared, does that code set at just Ignition on, whilst Cranking, or when running ? At what Exact RPM ?

but I also had a mechanic plug it in
Well it should be fixed then ?

When he read the codes he should have delved to get the answers to questions above and then looked at Freeze Frame Date for that Code.

Pound to the Penny, the first thing he did was attempt to clear the code and destroyed that valuable data. I'm not a great lover of retail customers but the "Mechanic" who does not fix a car in front of him is just a stubborn stain on the integrity of this trade.

I've known Crank Sensor faults throw P0340 and not P0335 or 336.

Its a minefield without the correct instrument to make the correct measurements.

PS. What is your idea of a Genuine Sensor:
From a Vauxhall Dealer, or a Bosch from Euro Car Parts. Just because it comes in a Bosch Box, all sealed with an intact hologram, means nothing nowadays.

#15 · (Edited)
As a family we don't mind a Vauxhall. Mum has driven an Astra for 15 years, 3 Daughters all have Tigra Twintops, had them all 10 years plus. I have a 02 Plate Omega 2.6 CDX that I don't use but wont want to see it go to bad home. It is is near Pristine. Every day car is a Volvo XC90, Bought it new and as practical as any car can be.

For work I have a Nissan Primastar (Same as Vivaro) Done 186,000 miles in 8 years and will do the same again without letting me down.

Volvo & Vauxhall. I find them about the easiest cars to diagnose and fix. Beats all the German Prestige Crap. Shouldn't knock the Germans for their cars though. One can have 2 or 3 happy wives & a mistress fully furnished fixing them.

What will be now that Peugeot have got their hands on Vauxhall / Opel ?

#16 ·
I’ve had the car 8/9 years and touch wood never had a single mechanical problem. I love the car but due to buying a property it’s time for it to go.

I think I will attempt another sensor. So do I get it from Vauxhall or get a Bosch one?

Thanks for everyone’s help

#17 ·
I’ve had the car 8/9 years and touch wood never had a single mechanical problem.
Its a machine. It will suffer wear and tear. We have to expect that.

I think I will attempt another sensor. So do I get it from Vauxhall or get a Bosch one?
Every time you replace a component without Conclusive Evidence that it has failed you are potentially making the car harder to fix.

You might as well bite the bullet and get it from the dealer. There are a lot of Bosch Fakes out there.

#19 ·
He's not been on here for quite a long time so don't hold your breath waiting for a response.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.