Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure how to drain or top up?

I was thinking of sucking it out with a pump through the reverse light switch hole,measuring it then refilling through that?

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
That won't work, because you won't get into the bottom of the diff housing.
If your box is an F17 (reverse gear the stick goes over to the left & forward), it has not got a drain plug, and you need to remove the diff cover plate to get the oil out.
To refill, there is a level plug on the nearside of the diff housing. you remove this, and put oil in through the top breather plug until the oil runs out of the level plug.
If it is the other type of 5 speed box (M32?), that has a drain plug & a filler plug on the back of the diff housing. You refill as with the F17, through a plug on top of the gearbox until the oil runs out of the level plug.

·
"Red One.."
2,973 Posts
If it's a Z17DTL it'll be a 5 speed only (M32 is a 6 speed). As per Alan's instructions for changing the oil in it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That won't work, because you won't get into the bottom of the diff housing.
If your box is an F17 (reverse gear the stick goes over to the left & forward), it has not got a drain plug, and you need to remove the diff cover plate to get the oil out.
To refill, there is a level plug on the nearside of the diff housing. you remove this, and put oil in through the top breather plug until the oil runs out of the level plug.
If it is the other type of 5 speed box (M32?), that has a drain plug & a filler plug on the back of the diff housing. You refill as with the F17, through a plug on top of the gearbox until the oil runs out of the level plug.
Ok I must have the F17 as reverse is as you said.need to get under with the cover off and have a good look

thanks Alan

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
Don't forget, the vehicle has to be level when filling the gearbox to get the correct oil level.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't forget, the vehicle has to be level when filling the gearbox to get the correct oil level.
Yes will do,this is another Job I am learning so every tip helps,I am servicing next couple of wks so will post back then

Thanks Alan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts