Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VAUXHALL ASTRA 1.7 ESTATE SRI CDTI ECOFLEX S/S 2013.
Looking for max towing limit.(85%) V5 states 1100Kg. Various internet towing site guides suggest 1200Kg +.
Just need advise please

·
Super Moderator
27,179 Posts
What you looking at pulling ?
I’m guessing it’s more than 1200kg,

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Braked towing weight is 1400kg.
This applies to the Astra J sports tourer models built from 2010-15.
Thanks Fred, Can you advise where the Max as stated on V5 is 1100kg comes from. I thought that was rather low. I'm looking at a caravan with a MPTW of 1250

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
On the Astra H, the ecoflex has a lower towing limit than the older models due to the different gearing, so that might be the same with your car.
The trailer weight on the V5 will be the makers maximum recommended weight, and will be what the vehicle is type approved to.
You ignore that at your peril, if you get stopped & weighed (which does happen occaisionally), or get involved in an accident, you could find your insurance is invalid, as well as risking a prosecution, and being prohibited from moving at a weight check.
You can't stand in court and say "but the internet said" when you have an official document setting a limit!

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Super Moderator
27,179 Posts
On the front left door frame ( under hinge fixing on body ) is a label of identification showing data of your particular models details such as maximum permitted towing weights. Bear in mind the max axle weight rating for front & rear axles , if the front is maxed out then the rear must be less to equal the maximum towing weight allowed & not to go over that limit.

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
On the front left door frame ( under hinge fixing on body ) is a label of identification showing data of your particular models details such as maximum permitted towing weights. Bear in mind the max axle weight rating for front & rear axles , if the front is maxed out then the rear must be less to equal the maximum towing weight allowed & not to go over that limit.
Fred, the makers plate does not give the maximum towing limit, it only gives the maximum axle weights permitted for the vehicle, the permitted maximum gross weight of the vehicle, and the maximum train weight permitted (the maximum weight of the vehicle, trailer and any load carried, including passengers and driver).
The type approved trailer weight limit is shown on the V5, both braked and unbraked.

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the Astra H, the ecoflex has a lower towing limit than the older models due to the different gearing, so that might be the same with your car.
The trailer weight on the V5 will be the makers maximum recommended weight, and will be what the vehicle is type approved to.
You ignore that at your peril, if you get stopped & weighed (which does happen occaisionally), or get involved in an accident, you could find your insurance is invalid, as well as risking a prosecution, and being prohibited from moving at a weight check.
You can't stand in court and say "but the internet said" when you have an official document setting a limit!
Thanks for that. Mine is Astra J. Which states 1100 Kg MTPW.Vauxhall have ignored my enquies. I'll nip down local caravan dealer and see what matches they arrive at, bearing in mind the V5!!!

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
You should be able to find something you like, just don't go over a MTPLW of 1100 kg. I've got a Gobur 2 berth folding caravan, that has max weight of 1,000 kg, and my old Asta H 1.7 CDTI pulls it well. I've just looked at my V5, and it gives a trailer weight of 1,400 kg max.

·
Super Moderator
27,179 Posts
Can’t see how an Astra J pulls less than an Astra H.
Something isn’t right here as Tow Car Awards state the Astra J 1.7 cdti pulls a max tow weight of 1400 kg & the 2.0 cdti 1500 kg.

Reactions: wetlad

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
Something isn’t right here as Tow Car Awards state the Astra J 1.7 cdti pulls a max tow weight of 1400 kg & the 2.0 cdti 1500 kg.
Must depend on the model Fred. There are several different engine tunes, and all you can go by are the official documents (V5).
My older Astra H 100 hp has a maximum trailer weight of 1,400 kg on the V5, but I am sure the later Ecoflex 110 hp has a towing weight of only about 1,000 kg, that's one reason I haven't changed to one.
Also, is the Astra J lighter than the older model, as that would affect the weight that can be towed. And, don't forget, the cars used for the tow car awards are usually top of the range specs.

·
Super Moderator
27,179 Posts
Must depend on the model Fred. There are several different engine tunes, and all you can go by are the official documents (V5).
My older Astra H 100 hp has a maximum trailer weight of 1,400 kg on the V5, but I am sure the later Ecoflex 110 hp has a towing weight of only about 1,000 kg, that's one reason I haven't changed to one.
Also, is the Astra J lighter than the older model, as that would affect the weight that can be towed. And, don't forget, the cars used for the tow car awards are usually top of the range specs.
I just find it strange that a 1.7 cdti with 130bhp on tap pulls less towing weight than a 100bhp estate.
I’ll get my mate to check his V5 because his astra j estate is 1.7 cdti ecoflex.

·
Super Moderator
27,179 Posts
Ok , according to the Government website it’s the sticker on the cars body showing the permissible weights.
It shows the vehicles gross train weight
which is the car fully loaded & the trailer or caravan fully loaded. So that’s 3125kg minus 1780kg =1345kgs

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This my problem. 1100 max weight seems very low. But as stated if get stopped its the V5 limit they go by rather than Towmatch which does show 1400

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok , according to the Government website it’s the sticker on the cars body showing the permissible weights.
which is the car fully loaded & the trailer or caravan fully loaded. So that’s 3125kg minus 1780kg =1345kgs
View attachment 93312
View attachment 93312
This is mine

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts