Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I have an 02 Astra automatic Z16SE engine 50,000miles.Since I bought this car 3 years ago have had trouble with the temperature gauge.If the car is stationary with engine running the temperature gauge works ok but when the car is moving the gauge stays at cold and does not move at all.Had it back to the dealers a few times but they say it could be the design of the engine and there is nothing wrong.What happens if I had a leak and lost the water? Can anybody help.
Brian

G

·
its normal for the temp gauge to move when ur stationary as the engines not getting a feed of cold air through the radiator, its also normal for the temp gauge to move back down when u move off again as its getting cold air sucked through the radiator which makes it cool the water, u aint got a problem mate its normal

my corsa gets to around 100 on the temp gauge then the fan kicks in and takes it back down to roughly 94/95 wheh sitting in traffic, when im on the move my temp gauge is jus below 90

p.s u would know if u had a water leak and ended up with no water in the cooling system cuz the temp gauge would shoot up to the red, another sign to look out for when engine is low on water is steam coming from under the bonnet, simple sign its over-heating

·
Premium Member
17,458 Posts
Hi,I have an 02 Astra automatic Z16SE engine 50,000miles.Since I bought this car 3 years ago have had trouble with the temperature gauge.If the car is stationary with engine running the temperature gauge works ok but when the car is moving the gauge stays at cold and does not move at all.Had it back to the dealers a few times but they say it could be the design of the engine and there is nothing wrong.What happens if I had a leak and lost the water? Can anybody help.
Brian
New thermostat required.
Is it the 8v engine?
If so good time to change cambelt kit too, as this has to come off to change the thermostat.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree with Boroboy, my 1.7 CDTi was doing the same if it was cold out. If I cranked up the heater flat out it would also make the tempature go down. A new stat and gasket was about £23 from Vauxhall and fairly easy to fit on the diesel engine. I don't know about the 1.6 though. You will also need antifreeze.

I can't believe a dealer didn't know that!

G

·
I agree with Boroboy, my 1.7 CDTi was doing the same if it was cold out. If I cranked up the heater flat out it would also make the tempature go down. A new stat and gasket was about £23 from Vauxhall and fairly easy to fit on the diesel engine. I don't know about the 1.6 though. You will also need antifreeze.

I can't believe a dealer didn't know that!
cranking up the heater fullblast will make the temp gauge go down as ur sucking the hot air from the engine, they tell u to do this if ur car starts to overheat and put ya heaters on hot on full cuz it cools the engine,

theres nothing wrong with the thermostat its perfectly normal whats happening

·
Registered
23 Posts
cranking up the heater fullblast will make the temp gauge go down as ur sucking the hot air from the engine, they tell u to do this if ur car starts to overheat and put ya heaters on hot on full cuz it cools the engine,

theres nothing wrong with the thermostat its perfectly normal whats happening
If the thermostat is regulating the engine temp properly you may get a slight variation in tempature when the heater is flat out but it should not run cold because of the heater. Why did mine stop cooling down when I fitted a new thermostat then?

So basically what you are saying is that the engine should run cold all the time unless you're in traffic? I guess every car I've ever owned must have something wrong then!

And think of how much fuel you will save! (30 - 40 extra miles to the tank on mine)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.