Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iv replaced my head unit in my 06 astra sporthatch

BUT, is it worth while replacing the standard door speakers as they seem REALLY good!? ive got replacements but not sure if i should put them in.

in teh boot im putting in teh following:

2 600 watt rms dual voice coil subs

2 vibe slick 1300 wat (600watt rms) mono amps to power the subs

infinity 6x9's powered by a 400watt clarion amp

sound good? but what about the door speakers?

·
aka wallop
945 Posts
hi mate...

with regard original front speakers; The stock speakers are designed to run off minimal amp power,(being driven by stock headunit), because you've upgraded this the speakers are now being driven slightly better.

with regard 6x9's; These are usually used where the fitting of a sub is either not possible or not desired,(due to larger cone area these speakers tend to deliver adequate bass), however, you are fitting subs so imo 6x9's aren't really necasary.

i would advise you avoid using 6x9's mounted in your parcel shelf, if you wish to use rear speakers its much better to use ones mounted in the stock locations,(assuming your not intending to play your stereo with the boot open in car park disco mode). if you are planning on playing your system with the boot open then i would opt for a nice set of 6 1/2" components in sealed enclosures mounted in the boot itself,(whilst driving you alter the fader to give more power to the fronts, then when parked you alter it again to supply more power to the rears).

so to recap---
if running fronts off the headunit, leave the stock speakers in place
if amping the fronts, you will benefit by upgrading the stock speakers
avoid running 6x9's and subs,(esp if they share the same air)
where possible, always amp all the speakers.

with regard using individual amps to drive individual subs in a multi sub install; good luck, it will be very difficult to match both amps settings,(gain & crossover points), unless they are strapped together as master and slave..its far easier to select a single larger amp that supplies enough power to run both subs,(at the selected impedence).

have a read of this thread i did a while back,http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=125173

if any more questions should arise, post them up and i will try to answer them for you...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
installing it all is not a problem as iv done it many times, and the system im putting in came out of my old van

·
aka wallop
945 Posts
installing it all is not a problem as iv done it many times, and the system im putting in came out of my old van
sorry mate, read your first post and assumed you were a novice...:shake

just ignore my last post.

hope it goes well....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im just wondering if its worth while swapping the door speakers that are already in it? i bought more so i did, but unsure if i should use em as they current ones seems good...

·
aka wallop
945 Posts
so to recap---
if running fronts off the headunit, leave the stock speakers in place
if amping the fronts, you will benefit by upgrading the stock speakers

avoid running 6x9's and subs,(esp if they share the same air)
where possible, always amp all the speakers.
my opinion.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts