Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Astra starting probs?

482 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  naya777 
#1 ·
Hi all. I received an email that goes a little like this....

Hi i hope you dot mind me emailing you but i was on the vauxhallwebsite and you seemed to know alot about astra diesels and i washoping you might be able to help me as i am completly stuck.We have bought a astra diesel that had been stood for about 8 months,had the roof bars missing so was wet inside, had coolant pipe and fuelpipe missing and no battery. (i did get it very cheap and bought itunseen)The problem i am having is that it is very bad to start from cold, idont mean cold weather just the first time. once it is warmed up it isfine, and starts again perfectly. but if left over a hour or 2 againit struggles to start.thing is it needs the accelarator pumping to actually start it, and itstarts much easier with easy start.so far we have put new fuel pipe on it, new coolant pipe, second handdiesel tank (as ours had holes in it), new glow plug relay, new glowplugs, new injector seals, leak off pipes, removed the fuel filter outof the system(no change) replaced the vacuum pump and solanoids (thesewere of another vehicle not new).i addition to this the accelarator peddle sometimes goes off like itsnot there, but if you turn off the igition and then back on it worksagain. the peddle itself feels the same as normal but just doesntaffect the revs i have also replaced this for a second hand one, butits still the same.there is the engine light on the dash and i have had the codes readwhich was to do with everything i have replaced, but the light isstill on. i hopefully have someone else coming to look at the lightnext week.it is a vauxhall astra 1999 v reg 2L diesel dti 16vdo you know if these have problems holding the fuel up??i am wondering if the light on the dash, the accelarator peddle beingstrange and the car not starting from cold for ages (about 2 mins itturns over but does not fire, and it seems as though it never will butit does!) if these are all connected somehow??this is the first diesel astra i have had so i am not veryknowledgable about them, and advice you can give me would be reallyappreciated.hope you dont mind me asking this way, noone i have spoken too seemsto know anything about these problems! kind regards barry
I'm thinking valve clearances. Anyone else?:Cool2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.