Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

just done a service on my Astra (1.6 8v estate 1999, 80k), so new air, pollen and oil filters, new oil and all fluids topped up, new plugs and wipers too. Lithium grease put in door hinges and the tailgate hinge too.

It was last serviced by me 7.5k ago (same as this time except plugs, and had new front pads, discs and rear master cylinders then. It had a major service at about 62k when cambelt was done.

So, anything else I should be giving the once over? It runs fine and passed mot 6 weeks ago.
Seems a previous owner has had the round air inlet duct off and sheared the fittings so I can't get under there without destroying the bolts, won't be able to get them back on.

Also, the rear tailgate struts failed a few days ago. Do they have air holes that may have got blocked or are they gas filled and need replacing.

cheers

muttley

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
the tailgate struts are hydrolic, and cannot be repaired, they have to be replaced and are a main dealer only item, and only brought in pairs

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

cheers for replies, struts are shot then, the boot is opened at least 4 times a day so good ol' wear and tear.

I am around on Sunday to do photo, can't see point now though, problem is a sheared bolt head, iirc its an allen key or torx. I've filed a groove so it now undoes with a large flatblade screwdriver. I've filed the edges too so a small molegrip fits and it does go back on now, looks crap though.

I'll clean the gunk out from under the cover but any other worthwhile spannering?

muttley

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Are you saying it is the 2 bolts that hold the inlet box onto the throttle body..they drop thru the cover and screw onto the studs that hold the throttle body on..If so why not go and buy 2 new ones?? alan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

this has turned into a post, ask, do things, post err, post

yep, having spend a cold hour and a half getting the things off, the threads have now got a bit of coppaslip on and the car is in one piece, runs fine.

New bolts are in order as much for looks really (not thought where from yet). I was more concerned if any preventative spannering was worthwhile whilst the inlet box was off.

cheers

muttley

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
you can get the new bolts from any main dealer, even if they dont have it in stock, they can order them in for within a couple of days

·
Registered
223 Posts
Struts are around £20 each & can be brought singley i brought 2 for my zaffy last month. Ordered in from my local motor factors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.