Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help

I have astra 1.6 16v eco. I reversed my car whilst my steering wheel was on full lock until i hit something on my tyre as i felt it on the steering column either it was a pot hole or a ramp i dont know. what happened then was my battery light came on and PAS went really heavy and i was still able to drive the vehicle but PAS was really heavy. I parked up near a service station and was checking what had happened until the fan kicked in this switched the battery light off and PAS started working again, but now the problem is that when i am driving the car there is a loud whining noise coming from the engine bay. many ppl said it was the alternator but the alternator is charging fully and so is battery. plus i dnt understand that i hit my tyre and what the alternator has to do with anything. i personally think that it could be something to do with the PAS PUMP as PAS is feeling abit heavy. Any suggestions what it can be.:crying_2:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
drive belt??? is that the power steering belt or fan belt or timing belt? sorry to sound stupid. where can i find this?

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
the power steering on the mk4 is electronic & linked to the alternator , so no charge = no power steering , could be alternator on its way out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey Guys,

I've got the same kind of problem that's just started in my 1.6 Astra (T Reg). There's a whining noise (albeit quite quiet), and it gets higher pitched as you rev. You can't normally hear it when you're drivning, as the road noise drowns it out about about 15mph, but I guess it probably still makes it..

The steering does feel slightly stiff, but it could be my imagination / paranoia, is it likely to be the alternator, or worse, the pump on its way out?

Also, on a curiosity point, how exactly does the electric PAS work, presumably you still have a pump? And do you have fluid at all?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts