Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm kind of hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this as I'm kind of loosing my mind a bit. I picked up an mk5 astra 1.7L diesel in pretty good condition the other day and annoyingly didn't notice this when I bought it.

Essentially there seems to be an issue with the central locking. There are no issues (that I can tell) with the keys and all the doors seem to lock when using them. The issue is when I press the door lock button on the dash, this is what happens:

• Doors try to lock and then unlock
  • Hazard lights turn on
  • Courtesy light turns on (and has not turned off since, I had to remove the bulb)

This ONLY happens when the key is in the ignition, the button works when the key is out of the ignition. It took might quite by surprise when I pressed the button while driving. According to the owners manual this is the behavior you would expect if you had the doors locked and the car ended up in a collision - hazards and courtesy light. Is there a sensor which might be stuck?

I've tried a couple of things to fix it but haven't managed to work it out:

• Checked central locking fuse (number 38), it had not blown
  • Disconnected the battery for 30 minutes, this reset the interior light error but it came back as soon as I tried to lock the car again
  • Reset the key in the ignition by pressing the button in ignition position 2

The car isn't throwing up any error codes that I can see although I don't have an OBDII reader. The only error light I get is that there is an issue with the coolant level sensor which likes to say the coolant is low when it isn't however I severely doubt this is related.

If anyone is able to help it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
279 Posts
The coolant level - make sure the sensor is connected under the tank.
If it is you'll need a new tank (and cap!)
The other stuff - you'll need to get the codes read either by a competent garage (with the right gear) or by using a copy of OPCOM thats available from a forum member.
There will be codes - this will also check that the warning lamp has not been tampered with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I'm not so fussed by the coolant sensor issue at the moment but the central locking is something I would like to get working. I'll get a scanner on it as soon as I can and try and work out what codes I'm getting!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the meantime while I don't have a scanner I did the pedal test. Have one error code - ECN 050074. Judging by some other posts on another forum this seems to be a common code on the 1.7 and isn't related.

I was watching the dash when I put into position two and didn't get any lights relating to airbags. So went and checked the fuse box.

Fuse for the airbag system seems to be missing?! This only strikes me as a bad thing potentially to hide a more significant issue. I'll replace the fuse ASAP and see if it all goes to hell.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I disconnected the battery, left it for an hour and then put in a fuse into slot 5 (airbags according to manual). No dice. Good news is the airbags didn't go off, bad news is absolutely nothing changed. No bulb on the dash.

Pressing the door lock created the same issue as before. I even played with the connector under the seat just to make sure it was seated correctly and this had no effect. No new error codes either.

Unsure what to try next.

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
You need to get someone to put it on opcom or tech2. Doing the pedal test will only get engine fault codes.
It sounds to me as if there is crash data stored in the air bag module.
You cannot simply change the module, as it is coded to the car.
About 10 years ago, I bought a damaged Astra H, and sent the air bag module to a repairer I found on eBay, but I believe that opcom could recode the module.
@Koicarpkeeper may be able to help you, he supplies opcoms that work!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Alan, Thanks for the message. I was beginning to suspect that it may have been involved in a crash at some point. I can get an OBD2 reader on it but not OPCOM at the moment.

Do you know if there is a way to check if the car has been in a collision without using opcom or going to a dealer? I'm guessing the answer is no.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thought I would post an update just in case anyone like me has similar issues (which seems unlikely given what I know now):

Given that getting a copy of OPCOM would have likely taken a couple of weeks due to living abroad I decided to initially take the car to a garage to get a professional opinion. In Norway we have fairly nice laws relating to purchasing goods, so even if buying a car from a private individual I theoretically have rights (including returning) so it is good to have faults documented by an authorized garage.

Anyway - the mechanic noted all the same things I did. First checked with tech2 and looked at the SRS, no response. He checked the fuses, as I did which were missing (I took them back out earlier after checking), and replaced them. Still no response. Power across the fuse was good. He was not able to get the light on the dash to illuminate.

Long of the short he thinks the car has been tampered with so as to hide the fault. In regards to the light he things the condition of the gauges suggest they haven't been removed so somebody has likely stuffed something behind the decal. It had it's equivalent of an MOT a month ago and this wasn't discovered which apparently is pretty bad according to the garage I used.

So the new adventure is trying to return a car. I suppose it's a lesson learnt?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ah ha!
Good luck with returning it. Let us know hwhat happens please.
I would take a simple cheap ODBII code reader when going to look at a car. Just in case. Most times you wont need it but if the owner refuses to let you plug it in (say 'cos the dash doesn't look right?) -- well -- walk away.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes but if the lights on the dash dont look right then any OBDII scanner will tell you if the fault light is on or not.
The real thing is that if the seller wont let you plug it in - no matter what excuse is used -- walk away
:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an update for if anyone potentially experiences the same issue - ended up in a fairly long argument with the seller as predictably he said it's "not his fault". Either way, I managed to agree with him to go half and half on the repair given I did buy the car after all. To save time and in the interest of covering my back in case anything else comes up I had it done by the garage.

So in short - they checked the bus to make sure no wires had also been cut, determined the module was completely dead, sourced a second hand module, reprogrammed and replaced it and it's now working fine - no lights on the dash and I can lock the doors.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Super Moderator
28,343 Posts
Just an update for if anyone potentially experiences the same issue - ended up in a fairly long argument with the seller as predictably he said it's "not his fault". Either way, I managed to agree with him to go half and half on the repair given I did buy the car after all. To save time and in the interest of covering my back in case anything else comes up I had it done by the garage.

So in short - they checked the bus to make sure no wires had also been cut, determined the module was completely dead, sourced a second hand module, reprogrammed and replaced it and it's now working fine - no lights on the dash and I can lock the doors.

Thanks for the help guys.
Which module?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.