Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I all ive had my Astra K Elite for a month or so now and my passenger tyres especially are loosing air to around 26psi and im having to put air in them every few days. I have sprayed some soapy water on the passenger front/rear and this is the result after a few mins. can anyone advice?

Thanks.
IMG_2699.jpeg
IMG_2699.jpeg

·
Premium Member
14,905 Posts
You probably need them refitting/resealing and change the valves, you can change those valves stalks without the tpms sensors, but from what I can remember the stalks need to match.

·
Worn Out Member
6,186 Posts
Yes you can buy just the valve stems

Reactions: Boroboy and andy_v

·
Premium Member
14,905 Posts
How much are the stems and what prices should I be paying to have them replaced?
I bought a full set of tpms sensors and valve stems off eBay (original), for less than £40, then I paid the local tyre place (£10), to fit them per wheel, along with 4 new tyres I supplied too. The tyres need to come off to change the valves or sensors or both. The valve stems alone are not very expensive. You local tyre place may even have them in, just ring them first to clarify. Otherwise you could buy them yourself and get them to fit them. May be worth buying an extra valve stem if you are going to provide them, as they don't always seat that well. Going from the last time I had 4 replaced on my previous Astra K. Get a price off them first, as Kwik Fit may charge as much as £25 a wheel inc vat.
If you change the sensors you need to relearn them back into the car. You can buy a relearn tool yourself to do that, info on procedure within your user manual. You don't need a relearn tool if you are just changing valves.

·
Premium Member
14,905 Posts
  • It may not also be your valve stems that are losing the air, with having alloy wheels, sometimes you can have air escaping from the tyre side walls where they adjoin the alloy. So these may require resealing, may as well change the valves whilst they're on, just in case it's the valves too. It's more probable it's the valves though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a full set of tpms sensors and valve stems off eBay (original), for less than £40, then I paid the local tyre place (£10), to fit them per wheel, along with 4 new tyres I supplied too. The tyres need to come off to change the valves or sensors or both. The valve stems alone are not very expensive. You local tyre place may even have them in, just ring them first to clarify. Otherwise you could buy them yourself and get them to fit them. May be worth buying an extra valve stem if you are going to provide them, as they don't always seat that well. Going from the last time I had 4 replaced on my previous Astra K. Get a price off them first, as Kwik Fit may charge as much as £25 a wheel inc vat.
If you change the sensors you need to relearn them back into the car. You can buy a relearn tool yourself to do that, info on procedure within your user manual. You don't need a relearn tool if you are just changing valves.
You dont need a relearn tool. Call up the tpms on the dash screen then press the centre button for a few seconds and it will bleep and tell you learning mode is activated drive the car a few miles and job done.

·
Worn Out Member
6,186 Posts
That only works if the wheels are in their previously learnt positions and it's a simple pressure relearn needed,
on the manual learn system as fitted to the 2016-2019 Astra K any wheel position or sensor change requires a re-learn with the tool.

·
Premium Member
14,905 Posts
As above if you move a wheel or fit new sensors you need to prog them in again. Fortunately the tool is not expensive either. Would have been easier mind if they were self learning like a lot of other tpms systems fitted to other makes of cars. Have to wait and see with the Astra L when it comes out next year.

·
Worn Out Member
6,186 Posts
Don't worry about it @Boroboy from the 2020 Astra K TPMS has been dropped and they switched to a DDS(deflation detection system )
this detects a change in rolling tyre circumference via the ABS wheel speed sensors and is already used on all the PSA based Vauxhall cars.

·
Premium Member
14,905 Posts
Don't worry about it @Boroboy from the 2020 Astra K TPMS has been dropped and they switched to a DDS(deflation detection system )
this detects a change in rolling tyre circumference via the ABS wheel speed sensors and is already used on all the PSA based Vauxhall cars.
Interesting to know, similar to VW/Seat/Skoda then & more reliable. Do all the petrol K's from 2019 on now have GPF's too?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts