Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi I bought an astra last week, drove it home engine management came on, chugging when driving at a constant speed in all gears, when engine is cold i.e. In the morning going work it cuts out when idle, codes coming up are P0130 and p0170. Also when idle the rev needle moves up and down so far to 400 revs and nearly stalls
What has been done so far is, lambda sensor, maf sensor, air filter, coil pack and air filter. Don't know what to do.
When codes are cleared it drives smooth for a couple of miles then starts driving rubbish again then light comes back on after about 40 miles Please any suggestions we have cleaned the egr but just with that spray from Halfords you spray in the air pipe and loads of black smoke came through
Please any advice help appreciated

It is going into Vauxhall Monday and hopefully then can give me a correct diagnosis for £220 lol.
Any ideas suggestions until then please let me know , thank you

·
Premium Member
15,540 Posts
If this is the 1.4 engine then i would suspect oil contamination of the engine wiring loom, if the oil pressure switch has been leaking then i expect the ecu plugs will be full of it along with the lambda plugs and just about everywhere else.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How many miles has it done? I am guessing 100k plus, and if that's the case P0170 will indicate the EGR channels are blocked up with soot. I am just on with the same job: it is a beast, very complex. The local garage quoted £450, 6 hrs labour.(Northern prices_ Parts are trivial, a couple of gaskets, £9. Link below.

The sprays additives wont touch this. It's basically the same principle as sweeping out a chimney: your burning fossil fuel (coal or petrol) in the 'stove' /engine and its leaving carbon deposits in the chimney/ egr channels. YOu've got to dismantile the inlet manifol and scrape out the carbon. This is simple but its the dismantling/rebuilding that's fiddly, especially as its all round the back of the engine and you'll need mirrors/lights etc.

One puzzle I have found on this is that most competent mechanics will know this is the real problem and its an expensive repair. \Unscupulous garages know if they tell you this you won't want to do it. I think unscrupulous garages will lead you up the garden path putting on minor easy fixes (air filter, plugs, £90 thank you sir) knowing full well it won't solve the problem really.

I would not bother with a vauxhall diagnosis: it's not actually a diagnosis, it just defines the symptom. P0170 is engine fuel trim. But what's causing that?" Don't know. "
I decided to have a go myself but I regret it: it's a massive job, out of my depth really: Iam a 'two spanner' home mechanic with limited tools and it's a '4 spanner' job needing special tools and the patience of a saint. And an indoor space/garage. (Spanners being Haynes degree of difficult: 1 - 5 range) Wish I'd scrapped car instead and enjoyed my weekends but having got half way I'm determined to finish it now.
If you want to go down that route I can assist. The link below is good.
http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/index.php?threads/fault-code-p-0171.435985/#post-2851493

·
Premium Member
3,293 Posts
Was this a private sale, or bought from a garage?
If you bought it from a garage, then take it back, they must repair it, or give you your money back.
If you bought privately, then it's down to you.
Where did you get the two codes from? And what code reader was used?
£220 for Vauxhall to plug in their code reader? That's a ridiculous amount, all they will do is tell you what you already seem to know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone I thought Vauxhall would pin point the issue directly. The cars got 70k miles. Bought at auction What would you guys do sell quickly , or try to fix ? The car cost me £1100

·
Premium Member
3,293 Posts
New codes !! Done pedal test just then, got codes p0170 p0130 p0300 and p01301 suggestions please ?
Somewhere on this forum is a list of what the codes relate to.
Have you done as Andyl said & checked the loom for oil contamination from the oil pressure switch?
As to whether it will do the journey you want this week, that's not something we can tell you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
took into vauxhall today, its an oil pressure switch or something that was fitted with a cheap part and a cheap job. which has caused oil to leak all in the engine. it needs a new ecu and various other electrical parts. been quoted £1100 to fix, guy going through with it going to be fixed Wednesday.

·
Premium Member
3,293 Posts
Typical main dealer, just change everything whether it's needed or not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ended up paying £1400, for a diagnostic, health check, new wiring loom, new ecu, and new oil pressure valve. rip off dealers but what can u do lol , but yeah you was right it was a dodgy oil sensor valve pressure that had been put on incorrectly and was leaking, ended up leaking oil into all electrical connections so also had to have all sensors cleaned of oil. always get an oil pressure sensor valve done at vauxhall lol its only a tenner part as well resulted in 1400 of damage.

·
Worn Out Member
7,884 Posts
Me to Andy,i'd have insisted the car was run and tried before any decision was made about replacing the ECM

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the car back today, it was still jerking a tiny little bit in 2nd and third don't know if that's relevant. But the engine management light came on again !! Car going back to Vauxhall being left in front of the bates for the morning. Paid £1400 to get a car back wi engine management light on still after having a diagnostics which apparently told me everything wrong with the car . Not happy £1400 and it's not right!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts