Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there.

Recently been having a rubbing noise when turning my steering wheel. Bit like a squeak or rubber on rubber.

Hopefully it's nothing too bad and nothing to do with a steering column going bad. anyone else ever had a similar issue?
Normal driving is fine normally so far . It's more when turning from lock to lock or turning the steering wheel 180 when moving car when parking is when you mainly hear it.

Out of interest how much does a steering column normally cost from vauxhall obviously worst case scenario lol? My cars a Astra j mk6 1.6 petrol sri 2011

·
Super Moderator
26,360 Posts
Check your front tyres aren’t catching on say a loose mud flap or a cable tie stuck in your tire tread etc.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Once you there check on the rubber boots on the steering rack and CV joints.
Unless you're certain the noise is coming from inside the car.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty sure it's inside car. But will check that anyway! Tbh the little squeak could of been there for ages until now when I've just noticed it. Might be over thinking it. Will just keep an eye on it until I feel it's getting worse. Do tend to worry about my car too much lol.

Are things like steering columns really expensive to replace if it ever did go wrong in future for example?
I know a steering rack replacement is over a £1000

·
Registered
213 Posts
Things like that hardly ever go wrong as they're also made of individual components so you may get away with replacing them.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

·
13,092 Posts
New complete column in my Meriva was a fraction shy of £1,000.
Fortunately Vauxhall picked up the bill.

·
13,092 Posts
2006 with electric steering.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts