Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've tried to avoid being 'that guy' with 1 post asking for help but I've tried my best to find this out and just seem to be getting conflicting information.

Someone tried to steal our car last week, no idea how they got in but they did and they got it into the middle of the road with the wipers, lights and radio on. At this point the police arrived and they bolted.

Upon turning the car on the dash said 'Service power steering' but seemed to work fine. We noticed there was a leak that looked like coolant or something under the car so we took it to the garage to get checked and they said there was nothing wrong with it and we haven't noticed it leaking since.

Come this morning and turned the car on and the steering wheel wouldn't turn at all, no lights or anything on the dash. I connected up an OBD2 tool and it didn't report any issues with the steering. Turned the car back on a second time and steering then seemed to work fine.

I thought maybe it needed a power steering fluid top up but I can't work out if it has a reservoir and if it does where it is. Some people are saying it does, other says its solely electric and others say its an electric hydraulic pump.

If anyone has an idea what the issue is and how to go about resolving it I would be very grateful!

·
Worn Out Member
6,171 Posts
An obd reader won't be any good for reading codes to do with steering,
it really needs to go on a dedicated reader capable of talking with all the modules on the car.
There's a possibility of it having electric or hydraulic steering,
if you want to post the reg number or vin i can check to see what system it has.

Reactions: andy_v

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An obd reader won't be any good for reading codes to do with steering,
it really needs to go on a dedicated reader capable of talking with all the modules on the car.
There's a possibility of it having electric or hydraulic steering,
if you want to post the reg number or vin i can check to see what system it has.
Reg is AX51 TJV, thanks!

·
Worn Out Member
6,171 Posts
That's coming up as an Invalid reg number

·
Worn Out Member
6,171 Posts
Ok that's got EPS so no fluid to top up

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks, any idea what would cause the steering wheel to refuse to move then be fine? At this point it's a case of whether I try and fix it myself or blame it on the attempted theft and pay the excess.

·
Worn Out Member
6,171 Posts
It depends what the thieving [email protected] did,
they may have tried to force the steering lock i suppose,any sign of damage?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not that I can see, the only signs were the dash warning to service the steering after turning it on (which hasn't happened since) and this mysterious fluid that leaked from somewhere which also hasn't happened since.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts