Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi boroboy
I get water in the boot, I was washing my car over the weekend I noticed the inside the boot right hand side , behind the driver side there was wetness and I did notice previously the boot used to get wet, as my cloth and bag which was under the spare tyre used to be damp. But I shrugged it off to being condensation. But when I washed the car I realised I am getting water into the boot,,but very minimal, as there was no puddle, but the fabric was damp.
it must be very minute leak and it would take time to get puddle of water.
i have taken every out and just to keep an eye out and investigate where the water is coming from.
i checked the aerial the following day , looked dry, as it was sunny weather.
where do you think most likely the culprit is , where the water coming from roof rails, aerial, boot seal, rear light, as I checked and it all looks all good. I did bucket water check could not find it .
i am now just waiting for rainfall to find out where it is getting wet, so it may take some to find out, as I have my boot completely empty for now until further investigation

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Hi boroboy
I get water in the boot, I was washing my car over the weekend I noticed the inside the boot right hand side , behind the driver side there was wetness and I did notice previously the boot used to get wet, as my cloth and bag which was under the spare tyre used to be damp. But I shrugged it off to being condensation. But when I washed the car I realised I am getting water into the boot,,but very minimal, as there was no puddle, but the fabric was damp.
it must be very minute leak and it would take time to get puddle of water.
i have taken every out and just to keep an eye out and investigate where the water is coming from.
i checked the aerial the following day , looked dry, as it was sunny weather.
where do you think most likely the culprit is , where the water coming from roof rails, aerial, boot seal, rear light, as I checked and it all looks all good. I did bucket water check could not find it .
i am now just waiting for rainfall to find out where it is getting wet, so it may take some to find out, as I have my boot completely empty for now until further investigation
I've seen the water trickle into my boot, after around 30 minutes worth of using the hosepipe, then I couldn't recreate it again. After putting it down again.
With regards to your pics, plugs cable/covers housings etc. I've checked all mine too, all dry. The plugs just pull out, mine are dry behind them. Aerial dry, roof rails dry too. It's my second J with a similar leak, so obviously common. I've even took my rear light clusters off, checked behind the boots rear access panels too. Also all the rear hatch trims. Rear head lining also.
Like yours, it's infrequent. Without a doubt it could be found, but it's whether I have the energy or time to strip down the rear end of my car again or pay someone else to do so to find it.
If you were getting water on your rear seat, then it would point to the aerial seal, but I'm not having that issue.
As we know intermittent leaks/faults are the worst ones to find, as they're not always present.
If you find it, let me know & vise versa.
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
102 Posts
my seats are not getting wet., but water must be coming in for a while which I never noticed unless if need to access the spare tyre, but when I was washing the car in the nice hot weather, just for the curosity I just took everything out of the boot and then I realised it was wet only on the right hand side.
like I said I did a bucket water test and my seats were folded and I sat in the rear of the car and seeing if I can trace the water,but like your effort, everything dry.
i washed my car with hose pipe and at the end jet wash,which I usually don’t use jet wash due just cant be bothered taking it out from the shed, as I washing the flags and this is why i used the jet wash.
at the moment back to work and and I am in the middle of doing painting, so I will try and see if can look into it or otherwise I am just waiting for the rain and see if it has leaked into the boot.
I also took the right rear light off to check the seal, but I could not see anything wrong with it,but that was following morning, so it wa dry, if I did take it off after washing the car it may have showed wetness, but I don’t know until i do this again.

pauil made some good comments did not think about the rear wiper, rear washer fluid,

I will keep you inform If I do find anything.

·
Premium Member
14,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
my seats are not getting wet., but water must be coming in for a while which I never noticed unless if need to access the spare tyre, but when I was washing the car in the nice hot weather, just for the curosity I just took everything out of the boot and then I realised it was wet only on the right hand side.
like I said I did a bucket water test and my seats were folded and I sat in the rear of the car and seeing if I can trace the water,but like your effort, everything dry.
i washed my car with hose pipe and at the end jet wash,which I usually don’t use jet wash due just cant be bothered taking it out from the shed, as I washing the flags and this is why i used the jet wash.
at the moment back to work and and I am in the middle of doing painting, so I will try and see if can look into it or otherwise I am just waiting for the rain and see if it has leaked into the boot.
I also took the right rear light off to check the seal, but I could not see anything wrong with it,but that was following morning, so it wa dry, if I did take it off after washing the car it may have showed wetness, but I don’t know until i do this again.

pauil made some good comments did not think about the rear wiper, rear washer fluid,

I will keep you inform If I do find anything.
I'll have another look within the future, when I have a free/day off work. I think there's also a possibility it may be getting in from the rear wiper arm seal. It's not coming in by the rear water jets, as I've checked that. With it being such a small leak, obviously a lot of the water is being soaked up by the insolation before it ends up in the boot. Then maybe the water has to come in at a certain angle too.
If I find it, I'll post it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
just an update , I haven’t found the leak as yet, it rained all day on Thursday and today it rained on and off. I have not found any sign of leak and the boot was dry as a bone.

Thursday I took it for a drive around town at 25mph to 30Mph and I must of drove about 5 miles and Friday it was just parked outside my house, so both days it did not leak into the boot.

i will keep checking ,as It is weird when I washed the car it was wet on the right hand side and these 2 days it has rained and no leak.

·
Premium Member
14,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
just an update , I haven’t found the leak as yet, it rained all day on Thursday and today it rained on and off. I have not found any sign of leak and the boot was dry as a bone.

Thursday I took it for a drive around town at 25mph to 30Mph and I must of drove about 5 miles and Friday it was just parked outside my house, so both days it did not leak into the boot.

i will keep checking ,as It is weird when I washed the car it was wet on the right hand side and these 2 days it has rained and no leak.
With mine it seems to be long persistent rain over a number of days, before I have any water in the boot. Mine was dry too, over the last few days. I tend to only check mine around once a month. I can spend half a hour washing mine, no leak. Very intermittent, not a big leak either.
I'm thinking it may be a common issue with J's as this is my second J with a similar leak. Although it took me 6 months to notice on my previous one, then I put it down to a a one off. I was thinking it may have been the rear hatch window wiper arm seal, where it goes through the glass. Can't see it being that though, as there's a drainage hole on the inner bottom of the hatch that would direct water over the rear bumper & not into the wheel well/inner hatch area, if that was the case. I'm thinking the build up of water is channelled in from somewhere. I even once had some water into the boot when we had persistent rain for a week, my car was stood then on the drive for 5 days, as I didn't use it & had a week off work.
I've seen water go into my boot, when I'd stripped a lot of the interior out, had the hosepipe out for around an hour, but still couldn't find where it was originating from. It was starting to get dark & I needed my car the next day. So that was as far as I got.

·
Premium Member
14,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well I've been on with it again for 2 hours this morning, hospipe and pressure washer, to no avail. Can't recreate the leak. Even had my son on the outside of it whilst I was sat inside.
IMG_20200622_100243666~2.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi Boroboy
I have checked my boot when ever it rained and it is dry and can not see a leak. Car was parked not driven for over 6 days.
It had a heavy rainfall on Saturday and early hours of Sunday morning and I just checked my car and no leak.

How did you take off the plastic rear back off ?

Do you have images or link and I will need to buy trim removal kit, as I have not purchased yet.

This is the update from my car ,strange when you can not find the leak, as I need to put my stuff back , but I can not until I find the leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
13,092 Posts
Had my panels off for over 2 years until I eventually sorted it.

·
Premium Member
14,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hi Boroboy
I have checked my boot when ever it rained and it is dry and can not see a leak. Car was parked not driven for over 6 days.
It had a heavy rainfall on Saturday and early hours of Sunday morning and I just checked my car and no leak.

How did you take off the plastic rear back off ?

Do you have images or link and I will need to buy trim removal kit, as I have not purchased yet.

This is the update from my car ,strange when you can not find the leak, as I need to put my stuff back , but I can not until I find the leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very easily, it just pulls off, there's clips behind it. Just give it a tug from the bottom and it'll come off. Won't help you any mind, as there's just insulation behind it, then the bodywork. The water is coming in from somewhere above it with mine. I can't recreate it again though, that's the issue. I did once, bit it took over an hour with an hosepipe. Then next time I tried with a pressure washer and the hospipe it didn't play ball.
Had my panels off for over 2 years until I eventually sorted it.
I could well believe it. Mine is so intermittent though, why it's really hard to find. I can go a month without any water. I've stripped everything I could think off, a part from the rear bumper. Including rear light clusters, headlining, hatch trim, plastic trim behind the rear wiper arm. If I can't recreate the issue, doubt there's much else I can do. Being my second J with a similar leak, can't be uncommon either. Fortunately it's not too bad, most water I've ever noticed within the boot at any one time was around half a cup full.
Even where the cables go into the hatch, I've checked them, as there's a rubber gator/sleeve protecting them.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Hi all
Dont suppose it makes a difference which way your car is facing when you find water inside does it? Just adding my "two penneth" to the discussion. I was thinking is the car leaking elsewhere/ travelling then pooling.

Bill

·
Premium Member
14,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hi all
Dont suppose it makes a difference which way your car is facing when you find water inside does it? Just adding my "two penneth" to the discussion. I was thinking is the car leaking elsewhere/ travelling then pooling.

Bill
Bill,
Not really to be honest, had the car a year now. Not had a leak for two weeks, even during the last lot of heaven rain and thunder, stay as a bone. Very intermittent.
Even emptied my washer bottle using th rear wiper, thinking it may of been that. Not a drip.
If it had been really bad, I'd of had to of sorted it one way or the other, but it's only a small intermittent leak. Annoying all the same though. I just check the boot about once a month now, dry it as required.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
The rear washer and tubing was my next guess. Bloody frustrating mate. I feel your pain. Sorry i cant help. :(

Bill

·
Premium Member
14,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The rear washer and tubing was my next guess. Bloody frustrating mate. I feel your pain. Sorry i cant help. :(

Bill
Don't think I'm doing too badly, as it's the only annoyance on my car. Otherwise it's been 100% reliable. Had far worse:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi Mate
My update on the boot leak, I found really small puddle on the bottom right hand side when viewing the boot from outside. When I checked last night ,as the car not moved and it has been parked outside my house.It was raining all day on Friday and the other previous days it was on and off raining.On Friday it was slow continuous rain with slight wind.
I then, today checked inside the boot to see if i can see any evidence, where the water trail is and I could not see this, as I thought at first it may be coming from the plastics part behind the body panel , which I pulled it off, I thought it was coming through the holes on the body, but I only cleaned it with cloth and then stuffed paper to see few days , if the paper gets wet or not,as I placed paper inside the body where there is gaps and holes and compartment rear light on the right hand side in each holes.

i have attachéd images which I took the rear right hand light off, took the rear boot seal part of it on right hand side, and the plastic panel on the inside of the boot.

i will check again when it rains and see if the paper gets wet, as the rear of the car will be not in use for a while.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 42 Posts