Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my car six months now, noticed it was badly steamed up yesterday morning, prior to starting. So checked my rear spare wheel well. Had some water within it, no a great amount mind. Around half an inch. So there's obviously an intermittent leak from somewhere. It's definitely coming from above. I checked underneath the rear external aerial, by pulling some of the head lining down. Felt damp under the aerial, but the head lining wasn't wet or damp, may have just been condensation, my access was a bit limited. As I'd only pulled part of the head lining down. I'm going to check the upper brake light cluster tomorrow. Also my neighbour is going to loan me an ultrasonic tester next week, hopefully. So that should be interesting. You place it inside the car and then use a probe to detect any sound waves coming from outside of the car, which may point to a possible leak.
Anyone have any other ideas where it may be leaking from?
Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
13,804 Posts

some ideas there George,
ag admin must run that site too, its the same as this one.

·
Premium Member
14,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Andy,
Thanks for that. I finished work today and washed both cars. Ran the hosepipe over the back on my car for around 15 minutes, continuously and nothing. Bone dry inside.
I'm now thinking maybe when that body shop had my car around a month ago, they may have left my hatch open, maybe when it was raining, I've only just noticed now. Time will tell no doubt, something I'll be keeping an eye on.

·
Premium Member
14,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried the hose pipe on the outside of the car for 10 minutes and nothing.
Just borrowed my neighbours 3k ultrasonic testing equipment. Think I've found it, being small, but there. Was the rear upper light cluster seal, if my car gets wet again. I'll take the light cluster out and re-seal it. Only on one side of the cluster seal too. I'm presuming as it's only a small leak, must occur when on long runs out in the rain, maybe on motorway trips only.
I also checked the aerial seal, nothing.
I basically put the sender unit within my boot, then used the receiver/gun on the outside of the car to check for any signal. It's normally used for pressure testing.
IMG_20191206_100944583~2.jpg

·
13,142 Posts
Have you tried tightening the cluster securing nuts, it may compress the seal just enough?

Reactions: Boroboy and andy_v

·
13,142 Posts
If it has a separate part number you should be able to.
Pop that bit of kit in the post to me, I still can't find where water is getting in the boot area. :cry:

Reactions: andy_v and Boroboy

·
Premium Member
14,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it has a separate part number you should be able to.
Pop that bit of kit in the post to me, I still can't find where water is getting in the boot area. :cry:
If I could I would, he's only borrowed it from work, as his company hires all kind of elec testing equipment out.
Have you checked the aerial or boot hatch seal? I also had a very small reading coming from one corner of the rear bottom hatch seal. Was tiny, so not sure if any water would get through there either? None of these showed up using the traditional hose pipe method.

·
Premium Member
14,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Update. After parking my car up for a few hours, my front screen was a bit steamed up from the inside. So decided to check the boot out again. Took spare wheel out, was a small amount of water on the boot floor again. Dried it up with a cloth. So at least I now know I have a small intermittent leak into the boot from somewhere. I'm going to start with the rear upper boot light cluster first. I'll either nip it up or reseal it when I get chance.
It's a tiny leak, so I'd say next to impossible to find out where it's coming from using the traditional hose pipe method. If say the amount of water I'd dried up was less than half a small cup of water, which has appeared within a two month period.

·
Premium Member
14,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I eventually got the rear cluster light out, but of a pig of a job to do so. Couldn't see anything to unclip it from the inside, after taking inner hatch trim off. Managed to pry it off from the outside using a couple of screwdrivers and a cloth so as not to scratch the paintwork.
There was water droplets within the inside panel of the hatch, behind the light, not sure that was the issue though. Cleaned the old sponge seal off from the back of the cluster, as it looked perished in places.
Just off to buy a fresh tube of translucent silicone sealant, mine in the garage has gone off, will seal it with that, then put it back in place.
It wasn't sealed well from the factory, I know for certain it's 100% water tight now. See if that sorts the leak, hopefully.
The boot leak may be a common occurrence with the J hatch too.
IMG_20200121_130223666_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20200121_130154836~2.jpg

IMG_20200121_142348131~2.jpg

·
Super Moderator
26,402 Posts
I eventually got the rear cluster light out, but of a pig of a job to do so. Couldn't see anything to unclip it from the inside, after taking inner hatch trim off. Managed to pry it off from the outside using a couple of screwdrivers and a cloth so as not to scratch the paintwork.
There was water droplets within the inside panel of the hatch, behind the light, not sure that was the issue though. Cleaned the old sponge seal off from the back of the cluster, as it looked perished in places.
Just off to buy a fresh tube of translucent silicone sealant, mine in the garage has gone off, will seal it with that, then put it back in place.
It wasn't sealed well from the factory, I know for certain it's 100% water tight now. See if that sorts the leak, hopefully.
The boot leak may be a common occurrence with the J hatch too.
View attachment 90416
View attachment 90417
View attachment 90418
I thought you’d have had trim removal tools George?

·
Premium Member
14,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought you’d have had trim removal tools George?
No. The hatch trim on the inside was easy to take off. The light cluster wasn't. They may have been something you need to release from the back of the light cluster from the inside hatch panel, but I couldn't see anything at the time. I got there in the end, main thing. The light cluster wasn't that tight and the original seal wasn't great either.

·
Premium Member
14,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well after last night's hooley, checked boot prior to setting off to Beamish, water in bottom of the wheel well againo_OI now think I know how it's getting in, the bottom right hand side rear hatch seal was wet (as you look at it from standing at the back of the car), the water has tracked in and down into the wheel well. So the rubber seal can't be doing its job properly.
The only two areas I found using that ultrasonic tester where the upper brake light cluster and side of the rear hatch, just above where this water had collected.
It's very intermittent and it must be at least two months since I last noticed any water within the wheel well. It's come in since the storm last night, whilst my car was stood outside, not whilst I was driving.
IMG_20200217_105221933~2.jpg

·
Premium Member
14,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Instead of replacing the whole seal, as it doesn't look bad, not perished. I may try and lift the effected edges by placing a seal underneath those where the water has come in. See if that helps. Very strange as there's been no water ingress for around 2 months, even when driving in the rain. One heavy rain storm, car stood still, water in the boot/wheel well.
Just spent two hours stripping everything out the boot, using the hosepipe on all the hatch channels, cannot replicate the leak. Not a drop into the boot. I've raised the inner edge of the hatch seal and silicone greased it all. I'll see how that goes now.

·
Premium Member
14,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There was water back in my boot this morning. I've had a light cluster off too, can't see where any water would get through from there. I can't replicate the leak either having spent over an hour with a hosepipe going over all the seals and lights, external aerial etc. Wheel well dry, checked heading too, that also dry. May take it to a trusted independent garage, see if they have any ideas. If I get to the bottom of it, I'll post back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Boroboy, I've got the same symptoms as you on my new-to-me 2011 J Estate, intermittent, into the boot, doesn't seem to be related to heaviness or frequency of rain. I think I've got a bit closer to narrowing down where it's coming from. On the Estate there is a recess in the side wall of the boot which has the rear light fixing bolt access inside it. This recess had some water in it and on removing the access panel I could feel water coming down the inside of the body from the top of the recess, so not from the light at all. First thing I checked was the rear washer as I had that happen on the previous Mondeo, but it wasn't that. The only two other things it looks like it could be are the nearside rear window, and the roof rail.

I dried the boot out, stuffed a rag into the rear light access and swapped it out every couple of days for a dry one. The boot has stayed dry. So I could just live with a rag stuffed in there but I'd rather sort the leak!

Because of the relative heights of the nearside rear window and rear light access it looks much more likely that it's the roof rail. I don't know how to remove it, so I'll start a new thread later on unless anyone replies here. How are you getting on with yours?

Cheers, Paul.

·
Premium Member
14,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yes
Boroboy, I've got the same symptoms as you on my new-to-me 2011 J Estate, intermittent, into the boot, doesn't seem to be related to heaviness or frequency of rain. I think I've got a bit closer to narrowing down where it's coming from. On the Estate there is a recess in the side wall of the boot which has the rear light fixing bolt access inside it. This recess had some water in it and on removing the access panel I could feel water coming down the inside of the body from the top of the recess, so not from the light at all. First thing I checked was the rear washer as I had that happen on the previous Mondeo, but it wasn't that. The only two other things it looks like it could be are the nearside rear window, and the roof rail.

I dried the boot out, stuffed a rag into the rear light access and swapped it out every couple of days for a dry one. The boot has stayed dry. So I could just live with a rag stuffed in there but I'd rather sort the leak!

Because of the relative heights of the nearside rear window and rear light access it looks much more likely that it's the roof rail. I don't know how to remove it, so I'll start a new thread later on unless anyone replies here. How are you getting on with yours?

Cheers, Paul.
Paul,
Yes intermittent leaks are the worst to locate. I had another go with the hosepipe and I managed to get a small amount of water into the boot, after hosing it down for over 1.5 hours, went over everywhere I could think of. The leak is that small, it's difficult to find where it's coming from. I know where it's ending up. It may be possibly from the rear hatch wiper seal. I just need more time to investigate it further. I'll post back if I do find it, my independent garage just suggested what I'd already done. Other than stripping just about everything out from rear end of the car to find it. The head lining is dry too. The inner chanel behind the rear light cluster is dry. The leak seems to be coming in from the right hand side bottom area of the vehicle as you are looking into it from the back.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes

Paul,
Yes intermittent leaks are the worst to locate. I had another go with the hosepipe and I managed to get a small amount of water into the boot, after hosing it down for over 1.5 hours, went over everywhere I could think of. The leak is that small, it's difficult to find where it's coming from. I know where it's ending up. It may be possibly from the rear hatch wiper seal. I just need more time to investigate it further. I'll post back if I do find it, my independent garage just suggested what I'd already done. Other than stripping just about everything out from rear end of the car to find it. The head lining is dry too. The inner chanel behind the rear light cluster is dry. The leak seems to be coming in from the right hand side bottom area of the vehicle as you are looking into it from the back.
Thanks for the info.
You're welcome, thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
14,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Around a year on, I still have an intermittent leak into my boot well. It's small. Around a cup full every 1-3 months. I've checked the head lining again, dry. I've tried everything obvious. Resealed the upper rear break light, so it's not that either.
Anymore ideas?
It seems to occur when the car is stood or I'm driving for long periods of time within heavy persistent rain. I can feel that the insolation is wet, on the inner side of the plastic hatch panel on inside right of my boot, as you look in from the back. See pic-
IMG_20200615_094504568~2.jpg

1 - 20 of 52 Posts