Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Astra J has front heated seats, if I turn them both on at the same time they both go off at the same time after around 30 seconds.

The live data reads the voltage as 3.5
Then slowly drops to 3.4 then 3.3 and then both seats go off on their own.

I presume it can only be the heat pads in both seats which would be a bit odd/unlucky or could it be the module itself at fault?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There’s no defiant answer on the issue really looking at previous posts.

I read one that mentions the connections under the seat being changed as a recall by vauxhalls, my question is.. would cutting the plug off and joining the wires directly to each other be viable?
And has it been the solution to the problem if anyone has ever actually tried it?

I know the plug is there so they can be disconnected for seat removal of course, but how often do people remove the seats really.

Again this is all down to the fact that I find it odd that both front heat pads would of failed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m not clued up enough on electrics to figure that one out. I was hoping someone would of tried/had the plugs changed by vauxhalls under warranty or had possibly bypassed the plug themselves with some success so I know weather to try it myself

·
Registered
29 Posts
1. There was no recall for this issue.
2. My passenger seat failed whilst under warranty about 2 years old. Went to local Vx dealer. As per Vx process they ordered replacement cable and fitted. Didn't resolve issue therefore seat had to be removed and taken to upholster to remove the leather (elite), they then replaced the pads and then all put back together. When I got car back then discovered drivers side failed so back in for the same process. When car was 3 years and 1 month old drivers side failed again, I hardly even use it so was really surprised. Back to dealer who contacted Vx who declined repair as was now out of warranty, I challenged dealer as it should have had at least 1 year warranty but they would not entertain which really pissed me off as i use them all the time for service, MOT and repairs as well as having bought several new cars from them. I raised a case against Vx and them with the Scottish Motoring Trade association and VX eventually gave me a voucher for £150 to cover the repair. I then had a lot of trouble trying to get car booked in for the work to be done as the leather upholstery company they previously used shut up shop. By the time I went back to get the job rebooked the voucher had expired. Dealer said they could get Vx to reissue, but I gave up at that. A very painful process indeed. If you google Astra J heated seat failure there are some good videos showing how to check/do the repair. I just keep switching mine back on if I ever need to use it, main thing is my wife's works and she uses hers a lot due to he MS. Reckon I will need to replace car when hers goes again. lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like it was a painful process haha.

Going off your experience i suppose it must just be both heat pads that have failed on mine then.

Before I go out and buy 2 new heat pads, going off the information that they’re pretty useless, would replacing the old OEM pads with after market ones work with the cars original module and dash buttons?
(Basically Doing away with the temp sensor that comes with the OEM pads)

I understand that some re-wiring would have to take place under the seat

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like it was a painful process haha.

Going off your experience i suppose it must just be both heat pads that have failed on mine then.

Before I go out and buy 2 new heat pads, going off the information that they’re pretty useless, would replacing the old OEM pads with after market ones work with the cars original module and dash buttons?
(Basically Doing away with the temp sensor that comes with the OEM pads)

I understand that some re-wiring would have to take place under the seat
Don't know to be honest, wouldn't waste my time and money on it. I didn't need mine when getting in car at minus 10 during a Scottish winters morning. If I was going to spend money would get an over seat one from Amazon or something for a fraction of the cost. My opinion based on Vx cost and reliability.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I get your point haha.

Personally I’d like to have the option of it working on the button weather it’s a genuine pad or an aftermarket one.

I might look into the aftermarket one as a replacement and do away with the temp sensor issues.

I will update on how it goes when I get a chance to have a go at it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts