Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My astra j clutch pedal feels stiff I can change gears easily but sitting at lights with clutch pedal pressed all the way down can be a bit uncomfortable the bite is really low if I have the clutch pushed all the way down and lift it up very slowly within half an inch the car will start to move slowly i bought the car in March the clutch is not slipping and gear changes are really smooth I took to one garage and they said probably clutch fingers but I took to another garage and they said fine? Any clutch experts on what to do i replaced my pedal box recently which wasn't cheap and dont know if its paranoia but feels like its starting to get wobbly again i would say the force required to keep clutch fully down out of ten would be five what is your clutch like

·
Premium Member
14,873 Posts
The clutch was quite heavy on my previous Astra J 2.0cdti, never had any changing issues with it though. One of the reasons I moved to an auto. I' say the clutch pedal on my previous 2.0cdti seemed similar to yours, having s/s it was a leg killer:ROFLMAO:The Astra K has a far lighter clutch.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The clutch was quite heavy on my previous Astra J 2.0cdti, never had any changing issues with it though. One of the reasons I moved to an auto. I' say the clutch pedal on my previous 2.0cdti seemed similar to yours, having s/s it was a leg killer:ROFLMAO:The Astra K has a far lighter clutch.
Yeah i always thought high biting point or slipping clutch was bad like I say changes gears fine no slipping just really low bite and 5 out of 10 force required to push ill just have to get ysed to putting into neutral at lights ive done over 400 miles this week so maybe I'm noticing it more

·
Premium Member
14,873 Posts
Yeah i always thought high biting point or slipping clutch was bad like I say changes gears fine no slipping just really low bite and 5 out of 10 force required to push ill just have to get ysed to putting into neutral at lights ive done over 400 miles this week so maybe I'm noticing it more
Putting it into neutral is a good habit to get into, anyway. I've always done so with previous manual gearboxes, even do so now with my auto box.
I don't remember my 1.6 had a stiff clutch mind, think I bought it when it was around 3 years old, had high mileage on it to, over 60k. May have even had 80k on the clock.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts

The bigger the engine the stronger the clutch is, I saw a noticeable difference between my old 1.7D N/A vans compared to the turbo versions especially my current CDTI, just fitted a new one to my CDTI and it's a lot more fierce with a low bite point and stronger clutch pedal than my old one was when it was new what with using a different brand this time, pressure plate clamping force and and all, stronger the clamping force is the harder the pedal will be.
Leaving the clutch down at the lights is putting unnecessary stress on the release bearing and the slave, its just as bad as using the pedal as a foot rest.

·
Premium Member
16,223 Posts
Biting low to the floor can sometimes be a bit of air in the system. Give it a bleed and see if it helps.

·
Super Moderator
26,615 Posts
From experience it’s your clutch & concentric slave cylinder showing signs of the wear it’s been through.
The CSC when new gives a nice light clutch action but as the years roll by & the clutch piles the miles on it gets heavier in it’s action.
The clutch self adjusts as it wears so the biting point alters & gets lower down as the friction material wears down , I’ve had loads of clutches go like that but haven’t noticed until I’ve driven the wife’s cars with low milage on & noticed immediately how light & soft the clutch pedal action is & how the clutch bite isn’t down near the carpet but more nearer the top instead.
If the clutch isn’t slipping your ok to carry on building them clutch leg muscles lol 😂
Remember with each press of the clutch pedal actuation of the CSC takes place , that’s why you fit best quality you can buy for reliability.
Another tip to save the CSC is to put your car out of gear if your waiting for more than a minute at lights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts