Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, complete self-proclaimed idiot here in need of some guidance.

I made a rash decision on wednesday this week to change the battery on my other half's 2010 cdti. It was the original battery, first instance since we've had the car of a cold night seemingly killing it off so i foolishly thought i was skipping to the logical conclusion of simply getting a new one. Not aware of the potential issues of disconnecting the battery or not providing back-up power etc. I could blame new baby sleep deprivation but tbh i was equally just in too much of a rush to pause and research it.

It is now having the following issues - no central locking. drivers door opens manually but that's it. the first day after doing it i could open the other doors from inside and then operate the button locks but this is no longer the case.

no a/c / heater / fans or headlights - again, first time i drove it out after creating this issue, lights gradually began working again as did heater. i drove it out for about 20 mins yesterday and nothing worked. It cycles through a variety of dash messages such as check o/s lamp, n/s lamp, position lamps etc.

It was showing dpf light and message as well but this went off during yesterday's drive. Not sure now if this was just a false fault. I didn't think i had managed to keep the revs up for long enough to cause a re-gen but still it went off.

Does anybody know if this can be recovered from? Is my only option now to go to main dealer for re-programming or is this even an option?

Any help / advice / suggestions greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Assuming you didnt put the wrong leads on the terminals briefly. Simply changing the battery shouldnt have caused any problems . Did you replace the original with a genuine one?

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
I take my battery off atleast twice a week on my astra for verious reasons and never get an issue..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Assuming you didnt put the wrong leads on the terminals briefly. Simply changing the battery shouldnt have caused any problems . Did you replace the original with a genuine one?

Bill
The replacement battery is a Yuasa. I didn't place the leads on the wrong terminals. It was disconnected for nearly a day though, would this make a difference?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
I wouldnt have thought so. Its never affected my car in that way anyway. Im clutching at straws here, but the leads are nice and clean and making good contact with the terminals? Fuses all good too?

Bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had some success. Checked the terminals - all good connections. Checked all relevant fuses, nothing there.

Tried disconnecting negative again for a few minutes in the hope it would at least clear the locking issue.

Now all the other issues have cleared up. No check messages, lights and a/c etc all back to normal. However the front and rear passenger doors remain stubbornly shut, regardless of whether locked or unlocked, central locking works on both keys, i can hear all the locks moving, however they just won't open.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Disconnect both terminals and touch them together this will literally clear any faults (permanently or temporary if something is wrong) it will make a small spark sobe warned.. Leave it a few minutes and then Reconnect anf start the car up. Let it idle for a minute and then drive for 20 to 30 minutes so the ecu relearns itself, during time all your problems should go away. If this is persistent then get it scanned on opcom tis or tech 2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's now all solved. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.

It seems that disconnecting / re-connecting the negative on the battery solved all the error messages and lack of lights and heater etc.

As for the locked doors I tried again to manually unlock the drivers door while car is central locked, which should enable passenger doors to be unlocked from inside. This is what worked once a couple of days ago but hasn't since.

For whatever reason, this time it triggered the alarm. After cancelling alarm with the fob, all other doors could be opened again. There seems to be some sort of deadlock which only affects the passenger doors, which stays locked regardless of what the central locking is doing. Somehow got the sequence of events right to override it this time.

Now I just have to wonder what all the horror stories (which i fell for!) to do with disconnecting batteries on modern cars are about!

Cheers everyone.

·
Super Moderator
26,084 Posts
It's now all solved. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.

It seems that disconnecting / re-connecting the negative on the battery solved all the error messages and lack of lights and heater etc.

As for the locked doors I tried again to manually unlock the drivers door while car is central locked, which should enable passenger doors to be unlocked from inside. This is what worked once a couple of days ago but hasn't since.

For whatever reason, this time it triggered the alarm. After cancelling alarm with the fob, all other doors could be opened again. There seems to be some sort of deadlock which only affects the passenger doors, which stays locked regardless of what the central locking is doing. Somehow got the sequence of events right to override it this time.

Now I just have to wonder what all the horror stories (which i fell for!) to do with disconnecting batteries on modern cars are about!

Cheers everyone.
Wait till you get a car with a coded battery , my mates Peugeot 508 was off the road for 3 weeks as the cars modules wouldn’t except the battery code , a technician from France had to come to resolve the issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts