Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Astra J hatchback, 2015 reg, I think it is “pre facelift” but not sure.
It has slow punctures on both off side wheels
My tyre garage (Formula 1 Autos) told me that air is leaking from between the valve body and the alloy wheel seat.
They say that if I can get hold of replacement valves they will replace them. They say that this will not involve disturbing the TPMS.

Are they correct?
Is the TPMS separate from the valve on this car? All I can find are combined TPMS and valve units.
Is it worth just screwing the nut down a bit?
I have heard of “screwed type” and “clipped type”, TPMS which type do I have?

I have attached images of
1. Mine in place
2. Version A available on internet looks like mine
3. Version B on internet. Is this the same as A but with the securing nut removed?
4. Valve only, with no tpms, is this designed for my car?

A large reputable local tyre fitter, Micheldever Tyres, have a universal tpms device called an i-smart, does anyone know anything about this brand?
1 my tyre valve in place.jpg
2 valve and sensor vesion A.jpg 3 valve and sensor version B.jpg 4 valve only, will it fit.jpg

·
Premium Member
14,920 Posts
Yes you can replace the valve stems without the sensors, the new ones will have to be reseated back into the alloy, hopefully stopping the leak. Tpm's valve/stalks can be problematic at times.
You have a late J, I presume? Mine is on a 2014 plate, fortunately I don't have tpms sensors.
Usually a good independent tyre garage would have spare valve stems in. May charge you a tenner each plus fitting. They can take a bit of seating though, especially if the alloy wheel was corroded when the stem seats.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I am quite happy to get these from the local dealer, J Davy, but today at the parts department they could only find the whole unit. 2 different staff had a go, no success. Will have to keep asking around. Registered 31 March 2015 on the logbook.

·
Premium Member
14,920 Posts
Thank you. I am quite happy to get these from the local dealer, J Davy, but today at the parts department they could only find the whole unit. 2 different staff had a go, no success. Will have to keep asking around. Registered 31 March 2015 on the logbook.
Sounds like a late J then, if you can get the right part number, you can usually buy them off eBay. I bought a full set of stems and sensors to fit an Astra K once, had them all fitted to a new set of alloys for a tenner a wheel by my local none vaux tyre place. I had plenty of time though and paid around £60 for the whole set inc the tpms sensors and all were original.
If the condition of your alloys around where the stems seat are OK you should be OK just to have news stems fitted. If the alloys are corroded or bubbling up around the stems it's possible you'll need the alloys powder coated.

·
Super Moderator
26,656 Posts
Sounds like a late J then, if you can get the right part number, you can usually buy them off eBay. I bought a full set of stems and sensors to fit an Astra K once, had them all fitted to a new set of alloys for a tenner a wheel by my local none vaux tyre place. I had plenty of time though and paid around £60 for the whole set inc the tpms sensors and all were original.
If the condition of your alloys around where the stems seat are OK you should be OK just to have news stems fitted. If the alloys are corroded or bubbling up around the stems it's possible you'll need the alloys powder coated.
One thing I’ve noted about these TPMS & the valve stems fitted is that the dust caps tend to weld themselves onto the stem thread , I’ve had to get the mole grips out a few times to get the caps unscrewing ( never encountered this before on the conventional valve stems )
So now I’ve coated the threads in copper grease to prevent the white furr building up & locking the plastic dust caps on.

·
Premium Member
14,920 Posts
One thing I’ve noted about these TPMS & the valve stems fitted is that the dust caps tend to weld themselves onto the stem thread , I’ve had to get the mole grips out a few times to get the caps unscrewing ( never encountered this before on the conventional valve stems )
So now I’ve coated the threads in copper grease to prevent the white furr building up & locking the plastic dust caps on.
Good idea. I also tend to put a bit onto the female end of my 12v air compressor, seems to help the threads last longer too.
Have them on the mini, I'd rather not have them to be honest. The ABS system seem to be more reliable than the tpms system too. Probably designed for people that never check their air pressures. Surprised an automatic system is not in place yet to measure tread depth too:ROFLMAO:Not forgetting auto braking for those that can't brake in time either.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boroboy, while I am grateful for your trying to help, I think you may be mistaken about valve stems available for my particular car.
I took it to our local "Just Tyres" outlet and a willing young guy, after identifying the car for his purposes as a "4 door" and not a Sports or GTC, took the tyre off and removed the valve and tpms assy and demonstrated to me that the valve stem is actually permanently fixed to the TPMS module and that I would have to buy the whole unit and get it re-learned.
I may after all have to avail myself of Micheldever Tyres and the i-smart, which I seem to remember them telling me is a 2 part device, so if I have the problem next time the stem will be removable on the 2 wheels i am attending to.
I hope this is useful to you. Please fill me in if I have missed anything.

·
Premium Member
14,920 Posts
Boroboy, while I am grateful for your trying to help, I think you may be mistaken about valve stems available for my particular car.
I took it to our local "Just Tyres" outlet and a willing young guy, after identifying the car for his purposes as a "4 door" and not a Sports or GTC, took the tyre off and removed the valve and tpms assy and demonstrated to me that the valve stem is actually permanently fixed to the TPMS module and that I would have to buy the whole unit and get it re-learned.
I may after all have to avail myself of Micheldever Tyres and the i-smart, which I seem to remember them telling me is a 2 part device, so if I have the problem next time the stem will be removable on the 2 wheels i am attending to.
I hope this is useful to you. Please fill me in if I have missed anything.
I know you can replace the valve stems on the Astra K for sure, as I had. They clip off from the sensors. I'm not expert on TPMS sensors, just talking from my own experience with them on a previous Astra K. That would be an expensive job, every time you need to replace the valve, you need to replace the sensor too. This is what the valve stems look like detached from their sensors on the Astra- K-
1596323133848.png

As @vecboy has stated, it maybe a repair kit required for yours-

Although you seem to be able to buy the replacement stems only for your car too on ebay-

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
vecboy, thanks for your post. If you post a link to the source of where you get the repair kits from I will look at it.
Yesterday i got one picture of the tpms in place, I didn't think to get any more. The chap took it out and showed me that he could swivel the stem against the sensor it on the hinge joint, but could not separate it. He had a whole boxful of slightly different designs of valve stem, there are many, all similar style. As I said earlier, this would verify what Vauxhall parts dept said, that for my car tpms and valve are a combined unit.

·
Worn Out Member
6,223 Posts
That'll be this type of metal valve sensor 13598775 (see pic)
the repair kit is 13507403 (see pic 2) which as you can see is just the seal,valve and securing nut and cap,
the rubber valve type sensors are fitted on the later cars and do have a replaceable rubber valve

Untitled picture2.png

Untitled picture.png

·
Registered
8 Posts
Will have a look tomorrow for sure but you would need a 13 or 12mm socket to remove the outer ring. That will then allow the valve to be removed from the wheel. If I remember correctly there is then a small torx bit that attaches the valve to the sensor. Once removed you can carefully remove the valve they come out at an angle. Then just refit in reverse order but be carefull not to over tighten anything. And make sure the hole where the valve sits in the wheel is clean and smooth

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
St50vec, I won't be doing it myself, the guy at Just Tyres was able to remove the unit from the wheel, and inspected the seal, said it was beginning to corrode, but he couldn't detach the valve from the sensor. Maybe he missed something. Can you identify the exact unit I have from the picture and info? Then at least a good tyre garage could tell me over the phone whether they can replace the valve stem only or not, which so far I cannot find out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Basingstoke. Micheldever Tyres are a large local business , I will try them but may as well ask all the locals, sometimes even Kwikfit can come up trumps according to various posts!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Problem possibly solved, my local KwikFit said they stocked the valve stem and could separate it from the tpms, replace stem for £20 per wheel and did this yesterday, now waiting to see if the repair holds

1 - 20 of 20 Posts