Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 2011 Astra 1.7 cdti that won’t crank over, ignition lights come on, turn key for starting but nothing happens, checked wire at starter and there is no power coming down. Anyone any idea what the problem might be? Thanks.
Also have fault code,
P0617: Starter Relay Control Circuit High Voltage

·
Worn Out Member
9,791 Posts
In theory the P0617 code is for a short to voltage to terminal 85 of the starter relay

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Worn Out Member
9,791 Posts
Probably easiest (with ignition off) to pull the relay,and with a m/m check for voltage at 85,
i'd test it once to a good chassis or battery earth and again to terminal 86 earth,see what readings you get

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Probably easiest (with ignition off) to pull the relay,and with a m/m check for voltage at 85,
i'd test it once to a good chassis or battery earth and again to terminal 86 earth,see what readings you get
When I put one probe of the m/m to battery earth or pin 86 of starter relay and other probe to pin 85 I’m not getting any volts, but if I put a probe to battery positive and another to 85 I’m getting 10.5 volts, battery is at 12.1 volts.

·
Worn Out Member
9,791 Posts
No sign of permanent voltage there then ,
quite why you decided to short the battery through to the ecm though i'm struggling with,hopefully you've done no damage.
Try the test to see if will crank,
check you have 12 v at terminal 30,
(preferably using a test light to load the circuit but m/m if that's all you have)
if ok bridge 30 and 87 to see if cranks

·
Premium Member
16,271 Posts
You need to have the clutch pedal pushed down, so fit a test lamp bridged across 85 and 86, then turn the ignition switch to crank, the ignition switch will send a signal to the BCM which will then send a crank request signal to the ECU which will send battery voltage to starter relay pin 85, relay has a permanent ground at 86,... this should light the test lamp bridging 85 and 86.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No sign of permanent voltage there then ,
quite why you decided to short the battery through to the ecm though i'm struggling with,hopefully you've done no damage.
Try the test to see if will crank,
check you have 12 v at terminal 30,
(preferably using a test light to load the circuit but m/m if that's all you have)
if ok bridge 30 and 87 to see if cranks
I do have 12v at 30, bridged to 87 and it cranks over.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You need to have the clutch pedal pushed down, so fit a test lamp bridged across 85 and 86, then turn the ignition switch to crank, the ignition switch will send a signal to the BCM which will then send a crank request signal to the ECU which will send battery voltage to starter relay pin 85, relay has a permanent ground at 86,... this should light the test lamp bridging 85 and 86.
I don’t have a test light, so I tried a m/m between 85 & 86 and I’m getting 11.2 volts when I turn the key.

·
Worn Out Member
9,791 Posts
The voltage is a bit low,is the battery fully charged ?
a shame you couldn't load test it but i think i'd rule the relay out next

Relay Test
1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the appropriate relay.
2. Test for 70–150 Ω between terminals (85) and (86).
⇒ If less than 70 or greater than 150 Ω Replace the relay.

⇓ If between 70–150 Ω
3. Test for infinite resistance between the terminals listed below:
◦ (30) and (86)
◦ (30) and (87)
◦ (30) and (85)
◦ (85) and (87)
◦ (86) and (87)
⇒ If less than infinite resistance Replace the relay.
⇓ If infinite resistance
4. Install a 3 A fused jumper wire between relay terminal (85) and 12 V.
Install a jumper wire between relay terminal (86) and ground.
5. Test for less than 5.0 Ω between terminals (30) and (87).
⇒ If 5.0 Ω or greater
Replace the relay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts