Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Astra J 1.7 cdti engine flat spot / acceleration hesitation and engine cut out

15K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  gmlive 
#1 ·
Hello, new to all this but been having a problem with my Astra J 1.7 cdti.

Sometimes while accelerating there seems to be an engine flat spot / acceleration hesitation as if nothing is happening at all, this can sometimes be followed by the engine cutting out which can be ball ache to start after. However usually if I keep my foot on the throttle during the flat spot the car rights itself and carries on as normal. Changing to lower gear when the flat spot occurs also seems to solve it.

No warning lights come up unless the engine cuts out then the engine management light comes on but I have taken it to several garages and no codes can be read.

Problem is becoming more frequent

Any help to the cause would be greatly appreciated!

#2 · (Edited)
There is several reasons for flat spots.

Have the garage done a live data read while driving as this really need to be done to find out whats going on, I know when Ive had flat spots in the past it was usually fueling, lack of turbo boost pressure, egr or maf sensor issue.

When was the diesel filter last done? Had the very same issues on mine a few years back, filter was full of gunk, new one fitted and running fine again.

#3 ·
Hi thank you for your response!

The garage have done the live data read but said nothing come up although im thinking of taking it to another garage to get a second verdict. The garage also checked the EGR valve and said that was fine, he also mentioned he thought it sounded like fuel starvation from the symptoms. I also thought it may be down to the fuel filter so changed that yesterday, the old one was almost completely blocked! However the problem is still happening. Havent checked the MAF sensor yet will have a look at that today.

#5 · (Edited)
If its louder than usual (knocky) then its usually fuel related a lean running diesel will sound awful, my 1.7cdti sounded like rod knock especially around 1500 rpm sounded knackered before its time, I even did a strip down of the bottom end to check but clearances were well with in spec. It wasnt untill I bought opcom and Bench tested every thing that I noticed injector issues, preformed a leak off test and 2 were leaking bad....reprogrammed 2 new ones and it sounds quieter than an electric car now, ive always found a shot of redex injector cleaner works wonders for then 1.7 if I hear mine getting more knocky than usual I put a bottle though it and that usually clears it

Providing the the garage has the right diagnostic stuff to connect to vauxhalls as a lot don't only dealerships... and get into everything then they would see if there was any fueling issues on live data especially when it cuts out something would defiantly show up engines dont cut out for fun.

One thing I forgot to mention was dpf, has it had a regen latley? These stupid things are a menis at the best of times, will cause all sorts of power problem's when there blocked...but usually you would get a warning light

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.