Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Astra J, NA petrol, 1.6 - A16XER.

The car drives 99% of the time ok and there are no such problems when on city runs.

But when on a highway, if I want to accelerate, the engine sometimes starts to shake at around 3,000 rpm.

If at that time, I release the throttle and and then press it again, the engine will accelerate normally. It will shake at 3.000 rpm, but will then drive and accelerate normally when you get pass those rpms.

Like I said, there is no such thing when driving in the city and even when I get on the highway. It will start doing it only when I have been on a highway for some time.

The spark plugs and ignition coil are new (OEM Bosch and OEM Delphi), and the valves have also been cleaned.

Maybe just some idea in which direction to look? I suspect something with the VVT, but what? Maybe someone had a similar problem?

No faults are shown.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I have the same problem. Astra J, NA petrol, 1.6 - A16XER. Identical symptoms. I found that over 3000 RPM (sometimes over 3500 RPM) the mixture was too lean. It takes some time for the mixture to get richer. Below are graphs from the operation of the lambda probe and the ignition advance angle. The rest of the charts look correct. The spark plugs, valves, engine mount, MAF and ignition coil are new.
Product Slope Human body Rectangle Font
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Line
Rectangle Slope Font Plot Parallel

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Unfortunately, I still haven't solved this problem. But in my occurrence, this always happens around 3.000 RPM and never around 3.500 RPM where the engines then works like a charm. Also, if I accelerate using 1st, 2nd, 3nd gear, it will accelerate normally without this problem.

O2 sensor should not be a problem here as it goes to open loop when accelerating and uses predefined factory settings for the mixture.

Do you have any excess pinging on any of the cylinders?

Let me please know if you find anything.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same, gears 1, 2 and 3 super and 4 and 5 above 3000 rpm breaks. When you press the gas pedal in 100%, it enters a open loop, but when you press the gas pedal at 75%, the car works in close loop and the same thing happens, but only from 3500 rpm. I suspect that the lower the load, the later it happens. The reason is clearly the impoverishment of the mixture, only that in an open loop is not visible. Currently, I am thinking about variable valve timing wheels. I do not know when and how they work - whether in a smooth range or not. I suspect the invalid values are too short and it doesn't return an error.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way. Are you geting any codes? I have no active codes, but lately my car started to sometimes pop out a service stabili track message on the drivers display. U0100 (Lost Communication with ECM/PCM “A”) is stored as a historic code in the brakes module. I have also found out a pending P0300 (Random Misfire Detected) in the ECM module, but it always quickly dissapers.

I am wondering if these two codes are connected to this problem. I have also notticed that I have some exess pinging on cylinder 2 and 3 (1 and 2 are normal).

I have looked also on a Chevrolet Cruze forum since they have an A18XER engine also fitted to there car. One forum member had P0300 and U0100 showing up and it was the MAF sensor, but yours is new (which one did you fit? Bosch?). And also, OEM BOSCH MAF sensors on GM vehicles rarrely fails and if it does, it shows tottaly wrong values. I will still clean the MAF today to see if there will be an improvement.

I also found that there was a recal on Insignia with A18XER engine when P0100 and u0100 showed up and requered the programing of the ECU.

I have seen examples when an igniton problem also triggered fults in the brakes module, but ussuly it was always accompanied by a MIL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I check for errors in modules, the program does not return any. When I order the codes to be cleared in all modules, it shows that one error was removed from the brake system - as if an error appeared at the time of its deletion and it immediately disappeared because it would be cleaned. New MAF: BOSCH 0 280 218 429. New MAF readings the same as on the old sensor. I don't have some exess pinging on eny cylinders. I am currently cleaning the injectors (but this is prophylactic because the problem also occurs with LPG). New DELPHI coil and new GM spark plugs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I cleaned the MAF sensor. Now I have to wait again.

This engine does not have a EGR valve. But I was also thinking if maybe the change-over valve would cause such problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
EGR is implemented using variable valve timing. This is what I wrote about above. It is possible that above 3000 rpm the variable valve timing switches differently, there is a wrong adjustment for a fraction of a second, a jerk and everything goes back to normal. The error is too small to set a DTC, but large enough to feel a jerk. I bet on the wheels of variable valve timing. No solenoids because I have new ones and with no positive effect.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was also thinking about VVT at the begining and especilly the soleonids. But have new ones, then that is out of the question.

Yes the error seems to be in the parameters of the ECU so it does not set the MIL on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I suspect that more people have this problem with the A16XER, but they don't know it because hardly anyone accelerates in 5th gear above 3000 rpm. At the moment, I was able to desilter the engine by replacing the valve cover with pneumothorax. Thanks to this, the oil stopped losing. After about 4,000 km, the engine was cleaned and it regained power throughout the rev range.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, talked to one of the mechanec at the offical Opel service and he said that it is common for the A16XER to do this on a highway as that is how the ECU is factory programmed. Does not happen on a city drive.

Still can't belive that Opel/Vauxhall would not release put out a software update for an ECU for such a small problem which is easyly fixable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've also been to Opel Service. They drove the car 3 hours around the city and on the highway. Two mechanics. After all, they said there were no problems. The car runs as programmed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I simply can't belive that they would make a million cars that shake at 3.000 RPM. Especially because the problem is easily fixeble and also noticable.

Today I unplugged the battery for two hours. Which means the ECU memory was totally erased of it's added driver setting which it collects.

And the engine shaked on a regional road which did not do bwfore and it did it more often. This tells me that it's a mechanical fault, not a software fault. What ever it is, the car electronics can mostly compasate, that is why no fault is shown.

I think my problem is with a fuel nossle, as I have high pings on cilinder 2 and 3. Doubt it is anything else now.

I think that the ECU can compasate just enough that it does not throw out a fault in the engine module, but in my case, enough to make an effect on the ESP module.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I am now 99% sure that a injector nozzle on cylinder 2 or 3 is my problem. Had a loaded car and wen't on a highway. It went super almost all the time, then came a "highway hill". The car started to shake. Service ESP showed up and U0100 was active in brakes module and in the ECU, P0300 was put on pending.

When this happened, the engine was under high load. This means, it was in open loop. So I think, I can count out:
  • MAF sensor,
  • O2 (lamda) sensor.
As the car did not used them at that time.

What I did notice is that the pinging sensor went "loco :D" on cylinder 2 and 3.

It could be problems with the fuel filter, since it does not need changing and I saw people finding all kinds of sh*t in it, even if it is not serviceable. And it can also be debris on top of the piston. But I doubt it as this would result in pinging more regularly in both occasions.

So my guess is that it has to be one of the injector nozzles that is causing a problem. Unfortunately, I have to order them at Opel as there are only OEM ones.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unfortunately I do not have the equipment to perform a balance test.

I was looking at the parameters in OP-COM. The car works fine till medium engine load.At high load it starts to struggle/shake and a lot of pinging is detected at cylinder 2 and 3.

Ok, it is a bit of guess. But I am quite positive that my problem is the the injector nozzle on one of those cylinders as:
  • if it was the MAF sensor, medium/high load would not matter,
  • the ECU does not use O2 sensor data at high load,
  • if it was anything with the fuel or the problem would originate from the fuel tank to the nozzle, all cylinders would be affected.

I will change both just to be sure.

Am I right that OEM fitted are Denso? If anyone knows maybe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts