Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having read over the fantastic thread on poor idle and so on, I am not convinced it was as simple as a throttle body.

My mechanical skills are amazing, second only knitting skills, of which I have none, so you will have to bear with me.

Descriptions are also far from my best skill as well, so to describe it is a little hard.

I have a X reg Astra 1.4 16V Envoy with LPG. It's a semi factory fitted in that the model doesn't come with it as standard, but as part of a huge order by the police, Vauxhall did the honours.

The LPG is in need of a service, having not had one since it's purchase in August 2006 by myself, nor the previous owner since ~April 2006. Prior to this, we have been unable to obtain LPG service history from the Police (though after contacting them, they were able to provide some documents not provided in the sale and also others they managed to obtain from Vauxhall direct).

My car is poorly to say the least and right now, I am not sure if it is serious.

After doing ~200 miles on Saturday, I now have bang on 110000 on the clock and a quick run out to the shop on Sunday, showed all was not well.

From cold the car was very unresponsive in the throttle, it felt like it was juddering slightly but very constantly. Getting anywhere fast was a no go.

Whilst trying to get a feel with the problem, I noticed is start to kangeroo. Talking between 35 and 50 in 5th (wasn't paying all that much attention).

I pulled in to inspect under the hood to do the usual "hmm, I aint got a clue but I will look anyway". Nothing special and all sounded 100%.

Pulled away having been by the road side no longer than 3 minutes and the responsivness was back.

Never mind I thought.

Only, woke up this morning to goto work and exactly the same thing happened.

In almost exactly the same place (maybe 200 yard further upt the road) a previous, the kangerooing was back, 10 to 20 seconds later, up a hill in 3rd and the car took off like a bottle rocket (compared to what it has been).

Again, all back to normal, but by now I know I have a problem and I need to get to the bottom of it.

After work, same again, maybe the same distance as previous, kangeroing for a few seconds and again, off we go as normal.

What the hell I am thinking, so here I am. Looking over the posts here, see what the obvious is.

Got a old rag out, took the air pipe off to get into the throttle body and yes, some oil, enough to say it should be cleaned, but I am not sure it was enough to be a problem.

Cleared it out anyway, making use of a little lightly used engine oil to help remove some of the slightly caked on sections. Don't have any propper spray to deal with this, so I wasn't excessive.

Noticed a clip holding a pipe onto the air filter line near the throttle body was in a possition that ensured it did little more than decorate. Tonns of gunk in the air filter section of the connector, so cleared out and reattched properly.

One question here is though, my cleaning of the throttle body was not excessive, mainly what could be seen in a slightly fading light. How far into the casing should I be cleaning?

Fired her up and all OK. Only problem is, the engine is warm. My problems are only when the engine is cold.

I am sure that the majority of my problems are down to the fact the car has seen quite a few miles in its time, but I am also sure there is much life in this car to come. So I am after the obvious.

When it comes to the rest of the items to check in the thread linked above, as noted, I aint got a clue.

So from your guys, can you give me any pointers, or probe me with closed questions to get an idea on the exact nature and gescription of my problems.

Anybody seen similar? Can you point me at howto threads on checking any other easy checks (checks before I go replace).

Thanks for any help rendered anyhow.

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
don`t know the names of the parts on lpg but isn`t there something that warms the gas up (via coolant)if this isn`t up to temp you would probably be better off running it on petrol until it warms up a bit more as the lpg could be freezing in the intake .
i haven`t had much to do with lpg though so don`t take it as gospel , someone who knows a bit more about it will probably explain it better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oooh, good point I neglected to mention.

This is whilst running on Petrol. I am not running on LPG right now with escepetion of some occasional use, until I can get it into its service.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, other than the physical symptoms, there are no lights or issues to help suggest a cause.

All I know is that there is a huge clue in the fact it's when it's cold.

The last general service was about 3 months ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I am not convinced my motor has a EGR, which doesn;t assist (will be checking properly tomorrow).

As such, I am suspecting coilpack or lambada now. Coilpack sounds more sound to me, because I don't think the lambada would account for the issues seen at cold start.

In a nutshell.

On a cold start, I get very poor performance. When driving I get engine rattle and very poor power from the enginer. Not sure I can get upto 70mph.

After a mile or so, I start getting kangarooing and performance picks up greately.

With partial throttle, I get kangarooing once upto temp and the only way to drive is foot to the deck to stop it.

Anybody think the same, or wanna provide me with the symptoms for the coilpack?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fpr those who don't read over on the Astra Owners club site, it looks like I may (need a cold start yet) have solved my problems.

One set of plugs later and the kanagrooing whilst under half load has gone.

As per the following picture, plug 4 had cracked on the ceramic. There is another chunk further in which cannot be seen by the camera. Quite obvious what the problem may ahve been from this.

The second one is plug 3 (full new set in), and quite obviously shows I had an issue.

I am glad it worked out cheap to resolve. I have been threatening to do 3 other events throughout the year and next week is the final festival. Was looking like I couldn't afford it. Can now (I hope), wohoo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts