Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Astra H Twintop 1.6 Twinport. When coming to a stop or changing to 1st/2nd gear at a junction, roundabout, etc the car will lose revs and stall. No EML lights etc come on and no error codes are displayed when linked up. The car will restart fine the first time. It May be unrelated but sometimes pulling away i have heard an Intermitantt squeaking noise when changing gear. MAF sensor replaced, coil pack replaced, thermostat replaced, throttle body cleaned out and gasket replaced. Has anyone had this problem before and fixed it? Where do I check next?

·
Registered
2008 Astra Twintop 1.8
598 Posts
First thing I would do is get it scanned with Opcom incase it's hiding any fault codes.
Also, make sure your EML actually works, I had a Vectra once with a similar fault, kept taking it back to the garage who kept telling me there was no fault because the EML wasn't on, the previous owner had removed the bulb!!

FWIW, the fault on my Vectra was crank sensor related, but get it scanned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No codes when scanned and EML light works, came on to show the P0001 (engine too lean code) that went off with the MAF replaced and showed for a misfire on all cylinders with a faulty stat also fixed now. But still the cutting out to stall at junctions (not everytime)

·
Registered
2008 Astra Twintop 1.8
598 Posts
Sorry, just realised that you said in your first post that it had been scanned and no codes! :censored: That's what I get for replying before I've had any coffee!
It could be the crank sensor, from what I remember, it doesn't always register a code, not until its completely goosed anyway. The symptoms are certainly the same as what I experienced when I had issues.
I'm sure someone will point out the best way of diagnosing a failing crank sensor, all I will say is if you end up replacing it, make sure it's a genuine sensor (or at least a good quality OEM sensor), Vauxhalls are very picky when it comes to sensors.

·
Worn Out Member
8,763 Posts
mmm,not sure how you replaced the maf when that engine doesn't have one,it's an IAT and MAP setup.
I also have to query what you're using to scan it with,and if it's up to the job,
P0001 code doesn't apply to either of the 1.6 twinport engines (XE1 or XEP) and even if it did apply the meaning isn't
"engine too lean" but is a fuel pressure code,the lean code for those engines is P0171.
From your description of the issue i would agree with @BORNXenon in that the crank sensors do fail on this engine and often fall to bits when you try and remove them,don't bother with cheepo replacements though just use either genuine or Delphi (oem).
Another possible is the egr playing about and sticking open.

Reactions: Adg85 and Louie'

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mmm,not sure how you replaced the maf when that engine doesn't have one,it's an IAT and MAP setup.
I also have to query what you're using to scan it with,and if it's up to the job,
P0001 code doesn't apply to either of the 1.6 twinport engines (XE1 or XEP) and even if it did apply the meaning isn't
"engine too lean" but is a fuel pressure code,the lean code for those engines is P0171.
From your description of the issue i would agree with @BORNXenon in that the crank sensors do fail on this engine and often fall to bits when you try and remove them,don't bother with cheepo replacements though just use either genuine or Delphi (oem).
Another possible is the egr playing about and sticking open.
It’s the z16xep and has a MAF, it may not of been the P0001 code it was a while ago but it was the code for “engine too lean”, the car was bumbleing about and jumping. After that the stat went and had misfires on all cylinders, replaced stat and now just that stalling issue. Will try the crank shaft sensor next. Thanks for your help 👍🏻

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, just realised that you said in your first post that it had been scanned and no codes! :censored: That's what I get for replying before I've had any coffee!
It could be the crank sensor, from what I remember, it doesn't always register a code, not until its completely goosed anyway. The symptoms are certainly the same as what I experienced when I had issues.
I'm sure someone will point out the best way of diagnosing a failing crank sensor, all I will say is if you end up replacing it, make sure it's a genuine sensor (or at least a good quality OEM sensor), Vauxhalls are very picky when it comes to sensors.
Thanks for the help! Crank sensor awaiting delivery 🤞🏻

·
Premium Member
15,938 Posts
It could also be the cam cover diaphragm has split, i only say this as you mentioned a squeaking noise, this will cause fuel trim issues and cause the engine to stall.

·
Worn Out Member
8,763 Posts
It’s the z16xep and has a MAF, it may not of been the P0001 code it was a while ago but it was the code for “engine too lean”, the car was bumbleing about and jumping. After that the stat went and had misfires on all cylinders, replaced stat and now just that stalling issue. Will try the crank shaft sensor next. Thanks for your help 👍🏻
I can assure you 100% that engine doesn't have a MAF,it's an Inlet Air Temperature sensor,
if the code really is P0171 rather than P0001 then as Andyl says it also needs a check for excess crankcase vacuum to be added to the list of possibles.

Reactions: vince bolam

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Crank sensor changed and MAF sensor changed again but still no joy. Sending it in to the garage on Monday for them to do some problem finding 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Worn Out Member
8,763 Posts
Yep that's the IAT,some sellers may refer to them as a maf but they're just an iat,
easy to tell, maf's generally have 4/5 or more pins,
the iat on this engine has just 2 pins (ground and signal)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts