Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all.
How you doing.?
Can i ask for alittle help please on a problem i have.?

My mother as a Astra H 2008, 1.4 petrol.
She uses it everyday for a run of about 20mile, she dont drive fast ... 60mph tops, & changes gears at a suitable rev.
(so shes not slaving or making the engine race).

The other day when i was speaking to her she said her car as broke down in the drive way (from cold start).

She told me me that..when she started it (from cold) that the rev counter went up & down, & that the battery light is coming on & off, that theres a picture of a car with a spanner on it.. So she instantly turned off the car & used the fathers car (a merc).

I went down to the parents saturday 12/09/20, & i plugged it into a Autel maxidiag md805 auto diagnostic scan tool. (ive used this tool on the E320cdi, E300td, Bmw 3 & 5, Landrover, its a decent scanner , reader & reseter).

It gave me a few codes which are P0500- 70....... P0500- 71... P0500- 72

I have cross checked the above & it says its for the vehicle speed sensor. vss.

The location of this sensor... is it on the hub.?
or on the gear box bell housing.?

On the gearbox bell housing is a sensor with 2 wires on & its a 22mm bolt on sensor, we took this off & its like a spring loaded button, something like a pen & you press the spring loaded button so you can write.
what is this sensor.?

I cleared the codes but they came back on.
started the car, the rev counter is fluctuating around 0 - 1000 rpm, the battery light is on off. the car with a spanner is on, the engine management light is off. the speed o not working. abs light is on, the radio is on (but i didint try the volume, or turn it off, think the mother leaves it on).
the engine is stable , no reving, doesnt die, its even / smooth.

If it is the sensor on the hub, why would the revs fluctuate.?

Any help please.?
thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
The sensor you talk about sounds like the reverse light switch, item 7 in this picture: MANUAL TRANSMISSION [REVERSE LAMP SWITCH] VAUXHALL ASTRA-H
The speed sensor is on the nearside front hub, which feeds through the ABS module. You need to get the vehicle scanned with a fully compatable scanner (most generic scanners don't work well with Vauxhalls). Opcom, Vauxcom or Tech2 seem to be the best ones.
Have you done the pedal test, which should give the engine fault codes direct from the ECU? Be aware though that some codes may be historic. I would be inclined to get any codes cleared, run the car, and see what comes back.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi alan g h.
Thanks for the help & info.
never occured tto me that it could be reverse sensor. i didnt even think of it, thanks

The pedal test...never heard of it till now, il pass that info onto the father & he can try.

On the bmw the same sensor goes faulty aswell, if your lucky 7 careful they can be changed by just unbolting & little wd40 & pull, & they pull out, a clean up of the hole 7 push a new sensor in. Never made my rev counter go funny tho.

Am / would i be so lucky on the astra .?

thanks a lot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi alan g h,
The father did the test , pedal test, the dash board said the following codes..

if i look at my post #1 my code P0500-71.

so il start ripping the sensor off.

thanks for the video link alan g h.

talk to you later.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
The ABS sensor is built into the bearing, you have to change the complete assembly.
Before you start stripping it down, check the wiring to the hub carefully, they have a habit of breaking wires.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool, thanks alan g h,

the whole hub.... how come.?

i was just looking over the site, autodoc.uk , were i get most of my bmw / merc parts & i cant see a sensor. strange...

2nd hand / ebay thing could be the same issue ..?

cant we unbolt it & drill it out & replace the sensor.?

thanks alan g h

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
the whole hub.... how come.?
Thats the way they are designed, the sensor is built into the bearing housing, with a magnetic centre in the bearing.
It comes as a complete assembly, if you look on eBay you can see what they look like.
First check the wires aren't broken inside!

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Alan g h, I've seen the part ( hub ) on autodoc site, so yes think your correct total unit change, but il say to my father before he orders the part to be sure wires are ok.
Now you say there magnetic, makes me think that its doing other jobs (rev fluctuations + other things).
Thanks for help.
I talk to you soon.

·
Super Moderator
27,026 Posts
If it’s the wheel speed hub sensor , you should retrieve the fault code CO035 & which side left or right also when the speedometer moves around the car should make a beeping noise to let you know the ABS / ECU is confused by the readings it’s getting.
Mines just been replaced.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Morning all.
Thanks Fred Bassett for replying.

Is it ok for the mother to drive this car.?
It won't cause any other issues till we get the part & change it.
Theres no heater clock in the car, so I'd hate for this problem to start not throwing heater warning lights or main problems. ( I would of thought it would be ok to drive local area).

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
27,026 Posts
Yes you’ll be ok to drive locally until it’s fixed

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
evening fred bassett
, thought as much, but these ecu's on some these cars are crazy, i had my lcm on my bmw5 7 that was a 1998 & the lcm had to communicate with some other ecu to opperate something else, so id hate it if she was out even locally & another ecu throws something.
just seems a shame that we / you have to scrap a good hub / bearing just for a sensor.
have vauxhall / opel changed this on the later models.?
could just have a small bolt in sensor.
thanks all for your help, appreciated,

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all , good evening... nice & sunny still (6pm ireland).

thought id ask / give 1 of you a shout, before we go stripping.

We got the part yesturday, (a new complete hub with wired sensor & )

Jacked up the car ..all nice n safe. then some reason ...???? looked over at the driver side wheel / hub.

& its the same as the passenger side.

Am i correct.. its the same unit, with the same sensors & same xxxxx?

or am i confusing the job of the 2 sides, 1 is the wheel speed sensor & 1 is the abs or something else sensor.?

I cant get you a picture now as im at home & the car is at my parents.
any help please.
thanks a lot, talk to you soon.

·
Worn Out Member
6,700 Posts
Yes the front hubs are the same ones both sides,
they are all (front and rear) part of the abs but the nearside front is also where the speedo reading is taken from

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cool, thanks valer.
so i can say this is my problem part,. the nearside, when i moved / drove the car at guess of 10+ mph (in gear1) the speedo did not register.

i was just looking over the internet,& i seen a guy on youtube, im not calling youtube a god but some things can be helpful & somethings you'd say come on you cant do that... this guy, he had the wheel off (cant recall what side was) & he said before you go ripping, just unplug the sensor & plug in the new unit. Then put the ignition on & the dash should be light free.
& turn the hub while its in your hand.

What do you think to this.?

thanks for the above quick reply also valer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good morning. How you going?

Yes,. So, as far as I know, the passenger side front complete hub as been changed, & the new sensor connected.
I'm not 100% sure if the car was started up & drove / moved after the replacement, but I know the ingition was put on.
& the dash board lights still on..

Battery.. and.. car with the spanner.

As I wasn't there when the job was done, I haven't plugged it back into my autel maxi-diag md805 diagnostic unit, so I couldn't reset or read any codes that may still be there. Or do I know for sure if this or that as been checked.
But...
Is it possible that if I plug it in to my diagnostic unit & clear the codes / reset. That all will be good.? Or
Could it be a stupid thing like a fuse.? Or.
Even the driver side front hub.?

IL try find out if the car was started & if so if the rev clock & Speedo are good.

Thanks for any ideas / help.
Talk to you soon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi all, how's it going.?

i know its been a while, the above car was started up few weeks ago.
& the out come was ... the dash board had the same warning lights on, so it was parked up & left in the parents garage while they both used dads car. & this monday was my 1st chance of going down.

So i plugged in the autel maxidiag md805. scan / resetter tool, started the car, scanned for codes & some came up (the above codes ..
It gave me a few codes which are P0500- 70....... P0500- 71... P0500- 72
I deleted / reset the codes, thinking it will be just that & fixed. but not...

So. Jacked up, removed the driver side road wheel ...(not the passenger side which is all new).
Unplugged the sensor on the hub & plugged in the old 1 from the passenger side.
still gave us the codes...

Then unplugged both sides, reset the codes .. re-scan, codes back on / dash lights as expected.

Replugged the hubs sensors that are on the car, checked for ify wires but nothing looks suspect.
We jacked up the back & looked at them sensors, again nothing suspect.

Any idea's please,?, my mother is now screaming for her back.

On the hub, is a wire with a connector on, that plugs into the socket.
This wire socket threads & goes around the strut & there's another join / plug socket just as it goes into the engine compartment.
(the wire with the plugs i mean is this 1 item i found on ebay, Astra Club Twinport 1.6 04-2012 ABS Sensor . Front for sale )

Can this wire go bad.?

Also, because the battery light is on along with the others, we thought the battery will going dead (when the battery light is on battery not charging), so we put a test on the battery while car is running.
The battery was 16.20 & was fluctuating from 15.50+ till we walked away at the 16.20+.

The battery was warm - ish.

Could the alternator be at fault here.?

I said no,but i read that when an alternator goes bad it can throw different dash lights, i said no because i thought it would only put battery light on / flicker on the dash board.

Any ideas on that.?

thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
The alternator should only be producing about 13.8 to 14.2 volts, and the battery getting hot confirms it's overcharging. The can bus system won't like the high voltage, and could throw up all sorts of problems.
When my son's first Astra H had an overcharging alternator, it used to go into limp mode at odd times, and it wasn't getting anything like that high a voltage.
If it was mine, I would sort that out first.

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Alan g h, how you doing mate.

Ye, I'd of thought around the 13 would be more correct for the battery aswell.

You recon that could throw up my dash board lights & codes .?
Thought it may put a engine management light on at max & gave a code of high voltage or something.

I've seen & read quite a few of my code / problems on this forum & other forums, seems a common issue, but I've not seen (I don't think ive seen) any mention of alternator / over charge.

Thanks for the info mate.
I'm off to bed, work at 6am.
Again thanks Alan g h for the info.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alan g h, sorry mate I thought I pressed the post reply button at the bottom last night before I went to bed,to reply to you.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts