Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, Aircon has stopped working on my astra H van and I was wondering if anyone knew or could check with opcom ( if they have working Aircon) the pressure when A/c is off and on?

I am getting 285kpa off and 300kpa / 0.5v on.

The A/C switch lights up and the compressor clutch engages but the radiator fan doesn't come on and a/c doesn't blow cold.
The cooling fans work when actuated through opcom.

I suspect it maybe low gas pressure? was last recharged 2017 when I fitted a new condenser

Cheers

·
Registered
137 Posts
Normal pressure iirc is 580kPa plus when AC is turned on assuming the compressor is doing its job and presurising the system.

Looks like the gas may have escaped, maybe if you didnt use appropiate lube on the condensor o rings, or in fact a faulty compressor. If yours was regassed with a UV dye you can find the source of the leak with a UV torch.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Normal pressure iirc is 580kPa plus when AC is turned on assuming the compressor is doing its job and presurising the system.

Looks like the gas may have escaped, maybe if you didnt use appropiate lube on the condensor o rings, or in fact a faulty compressor. If yours was regassed with a UV dye you can find the source of the leak with a UV torch.
Cheers that confirms my thoughts then that it is low. ORings were lubed with the appropriate Aircon oil, so I've no reason to suspect they would have failed, they were OEM. I'll take a look with the UV light as it does have dye in it 👍

·
Registered
Tigra Twintop 1.8 AT Z18XE AF17
489 Posts
Pressure depends on gas temperature but there isn’t a silver bullet with the values. But your values seem low. Deduct 100 kPa atmosferic pressure. Correct filling is on grams on counter of course.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Right, gone over the system with a uv light, no signs of any leaks, all joints pipes, condenser etc. Didn't have time to check the evaporator but will do. Only thing I did notice is when I took the cap off the high port there was a slight 'psst' and for a moment I could see some very small bubbles at the Schrader valve down inside the port (bubbles size of pin head).
The L port did the same 'psst' but less so, and no signs of any bubbles.

Is this normal or indicative of the H port Schrader not seating? Can these valves be tightened slightly or is it a case of getting a new core? Thanks for your assistance

·
15,923 Posts
Taking the plastic caps off the ports shouldn't give any hissing, they are only dust covers so if yours are hissing you have faulty valves.

Reactions: _mocool_

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spray water over the ports and see if theres any bubbling suggesting a leak
Checked it with gas leak spray and no noticeable bubbling. Had it recharged and all works ok though I think there maybe a very small leak from the ports as when you remove the cap you sometimes see the tiniest of bubbles pop in the oil / dye left in it. This would appear to be how its losing a bit of charge over the last 3years.
Got the special sealed adaptors to change the valves (losing only a small amount of charge), but going to leave it until it next needs a recharge, just in case it cross threads or something and I lose a full charge.
When I get moment I'll update this with opcom data pressures with full charge for others future ref

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just an update in case it helps others in future, with air con filled to recommended weight.
Ambient temp 27°C
Air con off values
Pressure 750 /1.1v

Aircon on values
Pressure 1875 / 2.7v

All taken at idle

·
15,923 Posts
Got to top mine up over the weekend so those figures will be useful for reference.

·
15,923 Posts
Mine prior to top up is considerably higher at 2.10 V and 1440 KPa with ignition on and 2.35 V and 1648 KPa with the engine idling and A/C on.

Be interesting to see what my gauge shows when I connect it. I expected to see a much lower pressure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts