Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I've got a 1.7 diesel Astra H, it's been reluctant to start for a long time off and on, and now it's completely given up. I get nothing other than a single click from the engine bay (definitely something bigger than a relay) and no turning over at all. Battery is new and ok. Engine runs fine from a bump start. Have checked the relay and fuse and they're ok.

Looking at things online I guess it's the starter itself or the solenoid. When I turn the key the voltage on the battery barely drops (maybe 0.2 of a volt). The interior light and headlights dim very slightly but it's hardly noticeable.

I haven't been able to check the wiring yet but I did want to check that this shouldn't be anything to do with the CIM module, should it? I've been having occasional trouble with it with the horn etc., but if the immobiliser was blocking it I wouldn't get any response at all from the key's starter position, would I?

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
The clunk you get from the bendix gear throw in relay is definetly a much bigger clunk than you get from a small relay. What is your battery voltage, using a multimeter and not relying on dimming lights etc, when you turn the key? It could be the battery, the starter relay, that's the big one on top of the starter motor, the starter itself or the wiring. There other things that could cause it but those are going much deeper into things.

·
Worn Out Member
8,623 Posts
Here's some simple tests,
in your case i'd probably pull the relay and try the direct feed to terminal 87

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Triangle

Reactions: mjones29

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I tried it again with a meter directly on the battery terminals it was dropping from about 12.2v to 11.6v. After checking the wiring, yep, it was the motor itself. Thank you for the help and the diagram for the test bulb 😀

1 - 4 of 4 Posts