Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My timing chain went on my 2013 GTC 1.4 turbo (33k miles). The check engine light came on a week before it happened and I was planning on asking my local garage to have a look at it when my MOT was being done a few days later. Unfortunately it broke before I taken it and I have had to spend £1900 to have it repaired. My garage said that it was down to the oil pump not being at the correct pressure...?

I bought it from a Vauxhall dealer May 2017 with 3 months warranty. When I rang for roadside assistance through Network Q and they said that I have 1 year warranty. With the light being on when it happened there was no point me getting it towed to the garage for them to tell me they can't do anything under warranty and for me to pay their prices for the repair.

The garage that repaired the car said for me to look and see if others have had this issue as he knows of 4 that vauxhall have had in.

If anyone has had this problem or similar it would be much appreciated.
I am looking to put a case together and get some goodwill from Vauxhall as this should not be happening to a car of this age and condition.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Was it rattling at all? they usually (usually loosely used) bring the oil light on if the pressure is low first. Most people pull over check the level see its ok, carry on driving then the engine siezes as it's got no pressure.

Timing chains again usually give you a bit of warning by getting noisy. The eML may have come on if the chain was loose enough for the cam and crank sensors to be out of time with each other if the chain was really loose or stretched, however you would normally hear the chain rattling.

·
Super Moderator
26,352 Posts
Was it rattling at all? they usually (usually loosely used) bring the oil light on if the pressure is low first. Most people pull over check the level see its ok, carry on driving then the engine siezes as it's got no pressure.

Timing chains again usually give you a bit of warning by getting noisy. The eML may have come on if the chain was loose enough for the cam and crank sensors to be out of time with each other if the chain was really loose or stretched, however you would normally hear the chain rattling.
Sometimes they just with disastrous consequences for the engine :unsure:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.