Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new here!

My Astra GTC 1.4T (38000 miles) has developed a rhythmic squeak/chirp sound when accelerating. It’s like a ‘squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak.’

The noise only happens when I press the accelerator when the car is in gear and moving. It usually happens in higher gears at lower rpms (2500) and only really happens between 15mph and 25mph.

it goes away when I release the pedal, even when maintaining speed. It also goes away when I press the clutch or have the car in neutral and ‘Rev’ it.

Car feels otherwise normal. So annoying! Any initial thoughts or suggestions would be great guys!

i’ve attached two videos of it here:

·
p0170
780 Posts
Thanks for getting back. I’ll check that out and fingers crossed you’re right!

Would the squeak noise not be heard in neutral if it was spark plugs though?
Depends how loose they are your driving underload that’s why you hear it let us know

·
16,492 Posts
I've heard that sound before as well down to loose plugs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: have a friend coming round on Tuesday with his tools so can investigate the spark plugs.

In the meantime I’ve had to do 2 short trips today. On both trips, the noise has disappeared after 5 mins (I presume when the car has heated up).

Would this still point towards spark plugs or does this mean it could be something else?

·
16,492 Posts
Have you tried opening the bonnet and having a listen?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you tried opening the bonnet and having a listen?
Hi mate,

Yeah I’ve had a look around, nothing seems to be loose or anything.

problem is the noise only happens when I’m moving, in gear, and press the accelerator pedal. It stops as soon as I release the pedal and doesn’t happen at idle or when revving in neutral. So even with the bonnet open I can’t replicate the sound :-(

·
p0170
780 Posts
Spa
Update: have a friend coming round on Tuesday with his tools so can investigate the spark plugs.

In the meantime I’ve had to do 2 short trips today. On both trips, the noise has disappeared after 5 mins (I presume when the car has heated up).

Would this still point towards spark plugs or does this mean it could be something else?
To check plugs it’s 5 minute job still betting there loose

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
UPDATE:

Took the coil pack out today and had a look at the spark plugs.

All of them felt snug but gave them an extra nip to make sure.

Noise has gone!!

What worried me is that number 2 was brown in colour and rusty, and number 4 was white. I’ve attached photos so you can see.

The second coil (brown one) was also pushed off center when I looked down the coil pack.

Is it time to simply replace coil pack and plugs or is there or is there something else going on?

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts