Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people of the internet.

I have a problem with my 2002 Opel Astra G 2.2 Bertone Convertible. Last week the engine started making a ticking noise (as you can see in the video: https://jmp.sh/cxJ7rOR). I called Road Services and they send out a mechanic that came to check the vehicle on the spot. The oil level was okay, but the guy said that it's the chain in the engine that's loose and needed replacement.

After that I took the car to a mechanic for repair. But the guy there said it had to do with a low oil level and that something was broken inside the engine. The engine needed replacement, which would cost me about €1700 (too much!).

But I'm really wondering what the cause could be. Does anyone have an idea? Please help! Thanks :)

·
Premium Member
16,189 Posts
These chains wear and jump for fun. Poor servicing causes it but Vauxhall ain't know for make a decent chain driven engine even when serviced correctly. I've seen chains rattling as low as 15k. What sort of mileage has it done. Usually a full chain kit is all that's needed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These chains wear and jump for fun. Poor servicing causes it but Vauxhall ain't know for make a decent chain driven engine even when serviced correctly. I've seen chains rattling as low as 15k. What sort of mileage has it done. Usually a full chain kit is all that's needed.
Thank you for your reply! It has run 197,000 KM. The chain broke about 5 years ago, at 120,000 KM. The entire engine had to be refurbished and the chain was replaced (obviously). Could a loose chain be the problem?

The last time it got service is 1.5 years ago, I skipped last time due to financial issues, but I did fill up the oil a bit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts