Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

hoping someone can help I have a 98 astra cdx and I have been trying to get the AC working on it for some time now. I have changed the condensor and installed a second hand compressor that was working on another car.

I was not able to get the compressor clutch to engage when using a power prob and was told the system has to be pressurised for the clutch to engage.

I have taken it to halfords today for them to run a diagnostic and pressurise the system, they have told me the clutch is not working so either the clutch is knackered or it is in electrical fault.

the system now has refrigerant inside but the compressor clutch will not engage, I am waiting till later tonight when it is a bit cooler to see if the power prob will engage the clutch but also I noticed on the drive back home when I press the AC button now the battery icon pops up on the dash.

any advice would be very welcome I am thinking of getting a new pressure switch if the power prob does not engage the clutch I also have an opcom if that might be able to help?

thanks,

Rob

·
15,923 Posts
The clutch can be checked by putting 12V to the terminals, irrespective of whether there is gas in the system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

and thanks for the reply is that dependent on what compressor I have?

I have had acouple of people tell me it needs to be pressurised, any idea why the battery light is coming on now when the ac button is on?

·
15,923 Posts
I would expect it to be the same or similar to the compressor on my Meriva. Unplug it and supply 12V to it with the engine off, the clutch should audibly engage with a solid clonk, if it doesn't the clutch is faulty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply been trying to get the AC sorted for ages I changed the condensor last summer and the compressor still wouldn't engage, so bought a second hand one from ebay I tried running current to it before i installed and it wouldn't engage the seller said the system had to be pressurised.

so I installed it and took it to halfords for a diagnostic and regass, they said either an electrical fault or compressor fault.

I did use my opcom this evening and had a bunch of error codes I cleared them but this one keeps popping back up

57 A/C Cutoff Request, no Signal its also the coolant light that is coming on not the battery light need to go to specsavers

·
15,923 Posts
The eBay seller has ripped you off.
You have a faulty clutch on the compressor so you have to fix it or replace it for a working compressor before doing anything else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts