Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I’m back again. After rebuilding my Astra 1.8’s engine, we got bored and came accross an Astra coupe for £300 with the Z20let engine in.
After programming the car to my ignition and transponder unit I was able to start the car and it ran up good. We bought it for doing a turbo conversion. I considered doing this in the past, but these engines sell for £900 easily without ECU, gearbox etc.

So we have a donor car to get everything we need from. We’ll post pics of the progress.

Is there anything I should be aware of before I start start stripping my Astra 1.8 to put the bits in from the turbo coupe? Are we likely to need to remove all of wiring from the dash?

So far I’m planning on the gearbox, the suspension on the front, some of the exhaust sections, the wiring loom but not sure what I need, I’m using the front brakes and obviously the radiator and intercooler is a must.

Thanks for the help in advance. I tried searching for threads but what I’ve found so far isn’t answering my questions.

Cheers!

·
13,110 Posts
Nice bit of progress, making the best of the sunny weather.

Reactions: loffty01

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
86F29F12-8CAD-40C0-A0E8-4C73CE46D13C.jpeg DC85E0DD-8EB4-4D10-8A3C-0ED771CC4EB5.jpeg 7032E2AE-7796-4847-9C76-2D2AF35FC656.jpeg ECBE7BFC-9BC4-4677-BA5C-427730ED7186.jpeg Today we put the Z20LET engine and box in. First we had to change the fuel lines. The Z20let has a return pipe coning from the tank as well as the main fuel line plus another line that goes to an actuator. We also used the fuel pump from the donor car.

We’ve got a bit of an issue with wiring now and I don’t know which is the best way ahead. Now the issue is that the turbo engine came from a Z20let Coupe and we’re putting it in a convertible.
We’ve inspected both dash looms and there are a few differences. I’m not sure if we can use the 1.8 dash look and couple the X2 connector plug that connects the dash loom to the external engine loom we’ve pulled from the donor coupe car and get it to work with the existing dash loom. Does anyone know at all?

Would it also be possible to remove the bits from the existing loom and install them into the new loom for the new engine?

Another question. On the drivers side of the car under the bumper you have the horn and on the other side of the bumper is a box that has 2 big connectors going to it. What is that box?

Thanks!

Here ar some pics

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool. Thanks! I’m going to use the one we pulled from the donor car.
We’ve bought another complete turbo loom from another convertible so at worst case we’ll use that.
Looks like we need to swap the ABS pump too. Convertible’s ABS pump has another sensor on the front as well as the loom connection on the back. Turbo loom only has the reae connector and not the front one.

All that’s left to do is sort the wiring our, put the turbo drive shafts back in and pull the front suspension off the donor car and put on the convertible. Radiator, condenser and intercooler as now in. Hopefully we’ll be in a position to start the car soon.

·
13,110 Posts
The ABS pump with the extra connections might have ESP and traction control. If you are going to use that you will need the yaw sensor and switch too.

Reactions: andy_v

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a feeling that’s what it was for. The turbo loom has no connector to it. Could I use the abs with the traction control but don’t plug it in (there is no connector for it anyway) or would I have to use the pump from the turbo coupe?

·
13,110 Posts
You should be able to set the variant coding to just ABS.
If there is no connector going to it on the donor then it is likely that it works as just ABS.
Or the extra connectors could be for something else entirely.

Reactions: Josephcarey1089

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Turbo engine in and runing. I’ll do a better write up when were properly finished.

One issue we have is the soft top roof will not work now and neither will the button that works the windows that opens and closes all of them at once.

We had to buy a new loom from a convertible. I tried to connect opcom to the roof controller but it wasn’t doing anything. It look like it detected the KW protocol but no connection. Anyone know of any tricks for me to try?

This is what opcom shows. I have a feeling maybe we busted the roof controller with the loom from the coupe we got the engine and box from.

Here is opcom.

8CDF28C5-C2F7-47D1-8763-D5AB833987F6.jpeg

4F780517-9477-4C52-BBA4-01B01B0D3C1D.jpeg

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts