Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd been having problems with my Astra door check strap - it had started getting very noisy. Each time the door was opened there would be several loud cracks, just like gunshots going off. All the neighbours could tell when I was coming and going. The door operation was very stiff too. I'd been meaning to get round to sorting it of course but then one day arriving at Tescos it just went bang. The roll pin that secures the strap to the door frame flew out somewhere and vanished in the dark and the strap itself retreated right into the door. The strap wouldn't budge so I assumed it was totalled. I quickly realised after yanking the door fully open against the hinges a few times I had to address it.
After removing the door trim/card as per the manual I removed the check strap mechanism and could see the GM part number (90520142) and promptly got one on order from the local Vauxhall parts dealer (£28ish - large numbers in stock in Germany for some reason). I was trying to see if I could unjam the thing just to do a temporarily refit while waiting on the new one - I saw it's held together with bent over tabs. These weren't too difficult to prise apart in the vice with a small chisel. After giving it all a good clean in paraffin I couldn't really see why it should have been playing up so. There were a few tiny shards which must have broken off the plastic roller mounts (top left in first pics) - I just assume they must have been jamming the rollers somehow. Anyway I reassembled it all with some fresh grease and bent the tabs back. Hey presto it all seems to work fine now. It is very tight on the bench but refitted back on the car (with a spare clevis pin) it's better than ever. Smooth and quiet.
However I'll still get the new one in case it screws up again.
DoorCheckStrapAstra-j-608.jpg
DSC09708.JPG

DSC09709.JPG

DSC09710.JPG

DSC09711.JPG

DSC09712.JPG

DSC09713.JPG

DSC09714.JPG

DSC09715.JPG

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.