Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am looking to get a second hand towbar for my estate and have been offered one form a Astravan envoy registered on 31/01/2005. Will this fit my car ?
Cheers
jeff

·
Worn Out Member
7,857 Posts
If the van is an Astra G rather than an Astra H the tow bars are the same as the G Estate

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the van is an Astra G rather than an Astra H the tow bars are the same as the G Estate
would the G designation come under the vehicle type approval number on log book as that has a G in it. Cant see any other mention of G on log book that guy has sent me, cheers.

·
Worn Out Member
7,857 Posts
The G is part of the vin number W0LOTGF with the H being W0L0AHL

·
Registered
2006 Vectra C 1.8, 2008 Astra Twintop 1.8
297 Posts
I've had two Astra G, and didn't know that's why they're called 'G'. :)
It isn't, they are called the G because in the 1990's GM standardised the model naming for all markets.
Vauxhall had sold the Opel Kadett 'D' as the Mk1 Astra and the Kadette 'E' as the Mk2 Astra. When the naming was standardised, the new Astra (Mk3) would have been the Kadett 'F', so they kept the designation and it became the Astra 'F', the Mk4 was the 'G', etc.

·
Worn Out Member
7,857 Posts
Yes they carried on the designation on from the Opels,they very nearly dropped the Vx name altogether at one point,
like a lot of dealers in the 70's & 80's we were selling Opels and Vauxhalls side by side.
Thinking back to working In the dealers at the time though,i don't recall the Mk1,Mk2 or early Mk3 Astra's being referred to as anything other than an Astra Mk 1,2 or 3,
however once the late (1998) Mk 3 (F) came out and they started putting the model in the vin (W0L0TFF) rather than using the old W0L0000 vin as in the earlier cars, we dropped calling them by mark and from then on they always got referred to by letter.

Reactions: Westy1600
1 - 7 of 7 Posts