Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.. first post and got to say great forum. I'm a newbie to car mechanics so go easy.

Spent most of yesterday searching the forum and web about cold start problems on a diesel and as a result have changed the glow plugs which has improved things slightly.

However I have also read that attention to valve clearances could be key so today I thought I'd throw myself into them! I didn't get to far!

I have got the 1.7 low blow turbo (GM engine). After taking the cylinder cover off I can see the cam shaft but I cant figure out the valves underneath or where the valve shims would be. (Usual beginner problem in that the Haynes picture didn't resemble what I was looking at!)

First main question: Should I expect to find valve shims on the 1.7DTL engine or am I barking up the wrong tree

Second if above is true: Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Many thanks for anyones help

Stuck a photo incase it helps..

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
no shims in there , if you`ve done the heater plugs then try changing the fuel & air filters , might sort it out & it never hurts to do a bit of servicing.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
It could be that the rubber spill pipes linking the injectors and the pump are leaking and allowing the fuel to return back to the tank. With this problem you can usually start the engine 'eventually' but it may need a jumpstart.
From past Vectra experiences, if I were you I'd replace the pipes and T-pieces even if they look ok -- costs about £20 and will take you 30mins.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Having had my car start erractically for several months i finally had my astra DI LS (W reg) in for attention, it appears that the rubber pipes were indeed absolutely shot to pieces, the pipes themselves cost about 9 quid and now these are done - she starts first time every time. My mechanic was emailed all info that i have found on this site, and he told me that the info was invaluable in helping to a correct diagnosis and rectification of the failure so thanks everyone !!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts