Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Y reg 1.6 Auto Astra.
Just recently the car has started cutting out when going downhill under braking eg coming to stop at lights or turning a corner etc also occasionally when i slow to a crawl in traffic.
Can see the revs just keep dropping till car cuts out.
Does not shudder or jerk what so ever.
Car then restarts fine straight away and has not been doing it again for days until today when it cut out 4 times over a 15 mile journey.
I had the EGR valve replaced last April and car was working fine until a few weeks ago when this started. Has been onto machine at local garage who have said that no fault is being registered but have told me they remember Vauxhall recalling Astra 1.6's for ECU faults which may be causing problems.
Is this true? Has anyone any ideas what could be the cause?
Would appreciate your feedback
Matt

·
Registered
191 Posts
hi mate sound like your throttle body and air breathing pipes need cleaning also your fire trap. this is easy take off, clean and assenble just over a hour, clean with carb cleaner, and there is a pin hole just under the butterfly on throttle body, this gets clogged up with crap, this is whats causing her to cut out, use a small needle to clean and blast carb cleaner thro this also, you will feel better acceleration and a smoother idle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE
i managed to strip and clean the breather pipes, the throttle body and the EGR valve. I did not find too much crap although not saying it looked brand new...... I did however find that two of the hoses which our friends at Vauxhall had said they replaced when they fitted the new EGR valve last year were f***ed. One was split and taped up and the other was kinked double. I had hoped this would sort the problem but when i took it out for a spin she cut out again within the first two miles. I got her home having cut out twice in total and decided to do what was said re resetting the ECU. I disconnected the battery for 1 1/2 hours hoping this would be enough time to reset it. I then took it out for a good 40 mins doing the same things i had been doing before when she cut out even went as far as to follow the same route ha ha. I am glad to say i had no probs what so ever, car was much more responsive with better acceleration. The only difference now was the temperature guage shot up to 85 after about 3 mins of turning engine on, during 30 min drive guage varied between 85 and 90 throughout.
Can anyone tell me if this is the norm as mine has never really run over 80 before and has always taken a fair while to reach that sort of temperature.
If she cuts out again i think ill have to go to Vauxhall to get it sorted.
Would welcome any comments or suggestions!!!
Regards
Matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.