Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im interested in a Astra 2016-2018

There are a lot of SRI's on the market but im more interested in comfort due to health reasons and i've been told by local vauxhall garage the manager and the service manager that the suspension is 10mm lower on the sri and the steering is heavier as standard, and the sport button makes it heavier still, but from my research so far i didnt think this was the case.

What i've found out so far is the previous generation of astra that the SRI had a setup like this but the current shape 2016 on the suspension firmness and steering weight is exactly the same as the other models in the range like the elite, design etc. I know there is a sport button that, changes the throttle response and steering weight but i want to know when this is switched off is the setup the same as the rest of the range. Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,182 Posts
I've previously owned 2 Astra K's with the sri trim, as far as I know most K's share the same suspension set up. The 45's generally give it a firm ride. You could put 16" alloys on from the the tec line or design trim model with 55's, which I did, in my opinion gave a much better/softer ride. The Astra K has very light steering, generally, which I liked, even with the s/b button pressed, it only marginally gave a firmer steering feel. I too need comfort for health reasons, so if that's what you are looking for, I'd avoid the 17 or 18" alloys. Check they have 16's fitted, some have 17's as standard too. If you want the maximum comfort with LED headlights & and a heated steering wheel, go for the elite trim & shove a set of 16's on. That's if money is not an issue. Best value trim with NAV & android auto is the tec line trim. I'd also go for the 1.0t engine with the 5 speed box. Smoother that the 3 cylinder 1.4t engine, generally more reliable too & better on fuel, still surprisingly fun to drive.
The 6 speed auto is very smooth too, although you can't buy an auto with the 1.0t engine. Clutch is a lot lighter with the 1.0t, compared to the 1.4t with the manual box.
The Design model is the lowest in the range up to the Elite & Ultimate I think you call it now, top. Although the elite spec is a good bit more expensive than the SRI or Tec Line. Most of the Elites don't come with a spare wheel, some of the SRI trim models too. Expensive if you want to put one in later, as you also need a boot insert too. Which raises the boot level around the spare. Both my SRI's had spares. The boot also look awful without the inset, which also gives you a bit of under boot storage too. The boot floor without the boot insert & spare wheel has raised edges which don't look level. You'll notice that if you look at the bottom edges of the boot, with no spare fitted.
Also the K has plenty of rear passenger legroom too, which I was surprised about, considering it's shorter than the J.
The emergency brake assist seems more reliable on the 2017 on models too, as it uses radar, instead of a front facing camera. On my first 2016 model, the emergency brake assist would go off often when passing parked cars, even on the minimum setting & sometimes it would go off with oncoming traffic, an annoying dash light & buzzer. The 2017 model was alot more reliable with this function.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts