Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
VxON's Nutty Woman!!
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of doing a 2.0 8v conversion to the Astra so what bits will I need??

Cheers :)

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
As far as I'm aware....

Engine, Gearbox & Shafts, loom etc....
Radiator
Suspension (Front)
Brakes (Front)
Exhaust.... from what though. Obviously 2.0 8v but IIRC they're rare? 1.8???

Fuel pump??

·
Premium Member
9,195 Posts
8v 2litre astra sport?

and shouldnt you wait to get the bloody thing first? lol

AND wasnt one of the reasons for getting shut of the cavs the running costs?

·
Kind of a big deal......
6,540 Posts
Engine gearbox & shafts straight out of a cav. Small amount of splicing to do with the wiring looms but its mainly just matching up colours. Maybe a bit of messing around with a gearbox linkage but you can make one that works from your old one and the cav one.

I used a 2.0 16V Ecotec rad but a GSI one would do as well. Mix and match coolant hoses.

You need the cav(big block) struts fitted with astra shock absorbers and either aftermarket lowering springs or the donor cav ones. Astra top mounts. Use the donors brakes as they are bigger and will have vented discs.

Exhaust wise I used the cav downpipe, an early SEH front silencer in place of the cat, but chopped the rear flange off and welded on an astra one so I could fit an early mk3 Astra 2.0 8V SRI centre and rear section. At one stage I had a cat fitted but it really strangled the SEH.

·
Kind of a big deal......
6,540 Posts
Did they do those?

Exhaust wise, would a 2.0 downpipe from a Cav 8v match upto an Astra GSI redtop mid section?
They did 2.0 8V SRI models on a k and l plate but they had NE engines with cats.

The answer to your question is yes if you fit the cat, but if the engine is a SEH it wont like it. The answer is to make the SEH front silencer fit, which is only a case of chopping the flange off and welding on one from an Astra cat.

I couldn't use a GSI system though as it was an estate. If it is a hatch then that is the route I would take tbh.....

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
SPi on the C16NZ I think? :think

Jayne told me she has a decat pipe from a 2.0 Cav... might come in handy as I don't actually have any of the exhaust beyond the downpipe. (She's using the engine out of my SRi)

·
Kind of a big deal......
6,540 Posts
Matt I got the a new early cav SRI downpipe and front silencer from www.buypartsby.co.uk for 40 odd quid I think.... was a while ago mind. The centre and rear sections were bosal ones from my local factor. Just ask for k plate Astra 2.0 SRI ones. ***that said just pick up a stainless cat back system for a GSI!***

As for fuel pump, I'd try it with the one thats on it, and if it runs lean just raid the scrappy for one......

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
They're internal pumps exactly like the facelift beam Cav pumps aren't they? I have an MPi pump in the garage if so.

As for the exhaust that's dependent on what Jayne can spend. I was kinda thinking that her decat pipe would bridge the gap nicely between the end of the 8v downpipe and the start of a GSI middle section, with work to the flange?

·
Foldy roll
2001 Vauxhall Vectra SRi150 2.2 16V hatchback
16,919 Posts
We unbolted (from a 2.0 8V mk3 Cav) the (complete) engine, subframe, suspension and wheeled it straight into the bay of a mk3 Astra. Don't exactly remember how we did the loom cut'n'shut but it wasn't hard (and we had (online) help from a splendid chap on Mig).
Kept the original Astra fuel pump (car was a 1.6 16V originally) and it was fine.

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Cheers E.... I think the 16 valvers were multipoint?

How did the struts link up? I thought the Cav struts and Astra struts were quite different fittings?

·
Kind of a big deal......
6,540 Posts
Matt yes that should work.

Ian that is one way to do it. I take it you swapped over the top mounts on the struts, at least?

The struts themselves are the same, but the shockers and top mounts are different.

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Do I recall you having some distance issues with the PAS pipes too Trav?

Will they just about stretch or will more pipework be needed?

·
Foldy roll
2001 Vauxhall Vectra SRi150 2.2 16V hatchback
16,919 Posts
We used the Astra topmounts and made the hole bigger to accept the thicker Cav damper shaft thingummy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts