Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

can anyone help me, i have just converted my MK3 astra sport to XE, after the conversion, giving it a good run, it seems underpowered compared to my c18xel engine that i'd taken out. 0-60MPH has drop from 7.2secs to 8.1 secs and the top end does not pull from 100mph very well at all. i am running the xe on a F18 gear box from my 1.8 16v, i have swap the c18xel fuel pump to the 20xe one to match the engine. the engine feels that it has soooooo much more but it will not produce it? Also when starting the engine, it seems to try to fire but stop the starter motor! then fires after ok, this only happens now and then!

I have check the cam timing, Is spot on, had it on a CO meter and is spot on with vauxhall spec! No ecu light on at all. idle's fines and sounds so sweet! but my thoughts are still with timing! i'm in need for ideas!

thanks daz!

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
The F18 isn't great at all but wouldn't kill it too much. What was your original engine?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bigdrifter said:
The F18 isn't great at all but wouldn't kill it too much. What was your original engine?
my old engine was the c18xel 1.8 16v 113BHP

my new engine is 20xe 2.0 16v 150BHP

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Fuel pump should be more than man enough for the job then. Did you get to drive the engine in the donor vehicle- did it drive ok before?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, i did it was firstly transplanted to a cav, from an astra GTE16v 1988, by a friend of mine the cav was very quick!!!, then the head went, so he sent it to headway for a repair and overhaul! got it back the car ran ten times better. Then after he bought a cally turbo he started to scrap the cav this is how i got the engine! Me and him are unsure what the problem could be?

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Puzzles me- I take it that nothing has been changed on the engine since it was in the Cav?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No notthing really, just the box and the car!, I've been told it could be coil not having a good earth how ture could this be as the coil plugs in using a mutli-plug, and surly it would miss-fire at higher rev's not loose power???

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Check all wiring and earths- can often be something very simple

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tried that all ready! do you know if you can get live data from the ECU using the sun modis or other dianosic eqiupment???

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Live data should be possible as long as the ECU will "talk" to the diagnostic equipment- my old Cav had two different ECUs as one would give out information and one wouldn't even give fault codes yet it ran fine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll try A graph recording on a road test using the modis and see if that shows me anything then! Thanks for your help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts